Skip to next stop

03-25-2019 09:03 AM
MarkCooper5
Occasional Contributor II

I have tested the navigator app in the field today (monitoring planning application status) and came across a problem – usually when we go to a site the app realised we were there and started navigating to the next one. However, for one site, we could not get close enough for it to realise we were there and we couldn’t tell it to move on to the next one. The only way I could do it was to end the routing and individually delete everything that has already been visited and rerun the route. Please could you let me know if there is a better way to do this as I will not be there in the future and the users will not be able to do this. What we need to do is skip a site and not replan the entire route.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Mark Cooper,

What platform are you using (iOS or Android)?

In the current version of Navigator, there is not a great way to do what you're describing. With that said, we currently a new version of Navigator in Beta (19.1.0) that will allow you to pause and resume routes -- this should accommodate the scenario you described above. The workflow would be as follows:

- Start navigating a multi-stop route and arrive at destination that you cannot get close enough to

- Tap "End" (this will temporarily end route, meaning it will not lose your previous progress)

- Tap "Edit Route" and swipe to delete stop that you cannot reach

- Tap "Resume" to continue navigating to the rest of the stops without losing previous progress on route

Does this sound like it would satisfy your needs? 

Joel

0 Kudos
MarkCooper5

Hi

Currently (reluctantly) using IOS!

Whilst not an ideal solution, that would certainly work much better than the current method. We are currently only on the 21 day trial as needed to evaluate the usefulness - is there a way we can test the beta version whilst on the trial?

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mark Cooper‌,

A couple questions.. Are you using your own maps (or ones included with Navigator)? How often do stops fall off the network such that you can't reach them when navigating? How are the stops being loaded into Navigator?

You should be able to join the Beta program by following the directions outlined here https://community.esri.com/groups/navigator-for-arcgis-beta/blog/2018/09/27/intro-to-testflight . This will allow you join and download the Beta version from Apple's TestFlight application.

Edit: we're also getting ready to release our Beta 3 for iOS in the next day or two

Joel

0 Kudos
MarkCooper5

Hi

We are using the UK maps provided by ESRI. In the future, if we purchase licences we may use maps created by ourselves using Ordnance Survey network data. I would say about 10% of the time they fall off the network - maybe a bit more.

The routes are created via AGOL and the link to Navigator Stops on the hosted layer is used to bring them into the app.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

0 Kudos
MarkCooper5

Joel Whitney‌ - I got the beta version installed and clicked on 'Navigator Points' on my routing layer in AGOL. However, when it opened Navigator, I was presented with over 200 routes (I presume for every layer in my content) and, as you could only read the first few words of each route, I had huge amounts of difficulty finding the one I wanted. Is there a way to see more text and perhaps only see routes shared with a particular group in AGOL?

When I eventually did, I stated the navigation, ended it and tried to find the 'Edit Route' button, but I just could not see it. Please could you send me a screenshot of how to access this please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mark Cooper‌,

This is good feedback, it might be easiest to hop on a call and chat through some of this stuff as well as other things. Feel free to shoot me a message at jwhitney@esri.com if this interests you and I can set something up.

The text size is dynamic and adjusts depending on the Text Size setting of the iOS device. I'll investigate if this is something that we can adjust to accommodate larger titles. In the meantime, you could try to limit characters in the name of the route (although this may not be feasible). Note, if you have your map open when tapping on the 'Navigator Stops List' hyperlink, Navigator will load the route for you.

As far as sharing goes, the Beta version will display all Route Layers that the current signed in user has access to. One way to manage large amounts of routes is through the Group sharing that you mentioned. By adding field workers to route assignment groups, you can only share the routes that they need to see with their assigned group.

The ability to Edit Route is currently only available when creating routes through the UI (getting directions to search results / dropped pins). Editing Route Layers is something we're looking at for one of our next releases as it's a little more nuanced (may contain waypoints or other special instructions that can't be modified).

Joel

0 Kudos
_____
by

I've been asking for this simple feature for over 2 years!

BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Good news Ian, we are working on this right now. Would you be willing to test it for us in order to make sure we are hitting the mark?

0 Kudos