Using model builder and summary statistics to calculate length of line and group by specified ranges

03-23-2019 06:28 AM
CiaranHiggins1
New Contributor II

Hi

I am trying to perform a summary on a poly line dataset. This data contains an attribute for the year the section was laid and the diameter of the section. I want to sum the length of these sections group them by both year and band. However I want to group the bands and years e.g  year laid 2000-2010 and diameter 150-300 mm. I have created a model which does what I want but I was wondering if there was an easier way to carry out this task. I was also wondering if there was a way to modify the model so that the user could add the year bands and diameters in a table or spreadsheet. I am new to the model builder. Maybe there is an easier way to carry out this task? See attached images. 

Thanks

Ciaran 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

If you want people to interact with your model as if it is any other geo-processing tool then you need to expose inputs/outputs as parameters, simply right click on an input and select parameter. In modelbuilder you will see a "P". Only when you open the model as a tool does it become a parameter that you can change at run time. Suggest you look at the help file on model parameters to discover more, especially about how to document them so you can guide your users.

0 Kudos