How to load U.S. national address database use arcGIS?

03-20-2019 09:17 PM
HuihuangYu
New Contributor

hey guys, I am totally new here. I am looking for an addressed database of U.S.A for my project.  Glad to see that there is one provided by transportation.gov:"National Address Database | US Department of Transportation ". Anyone can download it after agree the disclaimer.

However, after I downloaded it, I found the content is not recognisable to me. It is a .gbd folder which contains lots of a0000*.* files. I tried to search online to understand them and it brings me to here. It looks like artGIS should have the capability to read those files. however, after I downloaded the ArcGIS Pro, I even get lost further.

Can any expert help me out here? I really appreciate it.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The *.gdb is a File Geodatabase. You can access the data inside that File geodatabase using ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro.

What is a file geodatabase?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Connect to a database—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Different methods can be used to access different databases associated with a project. File geodatabases and connections to enterprise databases are stored on the file system. If you connect your project to a folder in which these databases are stored, you will see them in the folder.

Connect to a folder—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

HuihuangYu
New Contributor

hey Asrujit,

thanks for your reply. As Joshua said, i am completely unfamiliar with ArcGIS and its data formats, so i could not understand how to use it. i actually had added the database and also can see the records by click  View Metadata -> Table. however, i am still confused. is there actually only one table? Is this "table" the same as the table concept of RDBMS? can we somehow export or transfer this table to be something that can be import to any RDBMS?  Even just a csv file could help.

cheers,

Huihuang

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since you seem to be completely unfamiliar with ArcGIS and its data formats, what structure are you looking for the data to be in, and what program do you plan on using it in?

0 Kudos
HuihuangYu
New Contributor

hey Joshua,

thanks a lot for your reply. yes, i am totally new to the software and its data format. i am hoping the data can be somehow exported or transferred to a format that could work with RDBMS. idealy MySQL. 

looking forward to hear back from you.

cheers,

Huihuang

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since it doesn't seem like you are interested in using spatial tools, e.g., ArcGIS, PostGIS, QGIS, etc..., to work with this data; I suggest you look into GDAL: GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library  to simply convert from the file geodatabase format to MySQL.

0 Kudos
HuihuangYu
New Contributor

hey Joshua,

thank you very much for your suggestion. could i please hire you to do this job for me? you need to also provide me the detail instruction of how you do it. so that even i can follow the instruction to repeat it. could you please contact me via huihuang.yu@gmail.com to send me a quote of the cost?

thanks a lot.

Huihuang (Marc)

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry Marc, I am not available for side work at the moment.  Using Google or some other search engine, you should be able to sort out the conversion within a day.  There are lots of tutorial and forum questions/answers on using GDAL to convert data.

0 Kudos