Chart Frames Broken (possibly related to latest ArcPro update- 2.3.1)

03-21-2019 09:33 AM
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Hi all,

After installing the latest patch, my ArcPro has lost the ability to load any Chart Frames in a Layout. This applies to adding a Chart Frame for the first time, and loading Chart Frames in existing projects layouts. It will load for over an hour, so I do not think more time would help. The Chart Frame will just never load or Pro will crash. I have tried this across new and old layouts, with multiple different table sources. No luck.

I believe I have it narrowed down to the latest update. My colleague on 2.3.1 has the same issue. My other colleague on 2.0 does not have this problem. 

Note creating charts has no problem. It is only when adding the frame to the layout when it freezes/will not load. 

Things I have tried to troubleshoot:

• Uninstalled update patch 2.3.1 (now running 2.3). However, even projects made initially (before I updated) and recently (after uninstalling) at 2.3 still will not work. 
  • I have slow internet, so I put my computer on airplane mode to disconnect from any wifi.
  • Uninstalled all Windows updates that had installed after my last successful Chart Frame (last week). 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jessie

14 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jessie, 

Currently, we are unaware of any specific issue with inserting Chart Frame into a page layout with 2.3.1. Have you contacted tech support?  They are better equipped to handle troubleshooting steps and gather bug data. They can be contacted at https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

In the meantime, try exporting the chart to an .svg file.  You can do this in the Chart View. See the "Share your chart" section under the help topic Charts quick tour—Charts | ArcGIS Desktop for more information.

Then bring the file you created into the layout page as a Picture element. See the "Insert pictures" section in the following help topic - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/layouts/add-and-modify-graphics-and-text.htm for more information

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the quick response, I appreciate it. I have confirmed that this is also an issue on 2 of my colleague's computer's who have also updated to 2.3.1, and not on my colleague's computer running an older version of Pro. I admit it could be unrelated, as that is not an extensive check. I also have confirmed this issue is limited to Chart Frames. Table Frames add to the layout okay.

Our current workaround is making the chart in Excel, which is similar to your workaround. Both require extra steps when the data is updated and do not look as good, so hoping to get this resolved soon. I have submitted a request to my organization for permission to open a case. 

Kind regards,

Jessie

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jessie, 

Thanks for the response. I'll keep my eye out for the case/bug number once it gets logged. Hopefully, this is something we can get to before the next release.

Tom

JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Great, thank you! We are having trouble getting me the permissions I need to start a case. Any advice would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jessie, 

You will need to either have an authorized caller create the case, or follow the instructions there to get Support permissions. Here is the information on  he Common Questions page of My Esri.

Hope this help, 

Tom

JosiahMoore
New Contributor

Just had the same issue. Came here looking for an answer only to have my fears confirmed.

Can't add a chart frame to a layout.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

In the other report of this behavior on this thread, it looks like the behavior was only occurring with a specific user profile, even on the same machine.  Are you in an office setting where you could have a colleague log in to your machine, work in Pro to see if the behavior still occurs?  Or you try logging into a different machine with Pro to see if it occurs?  It would be good to further narrow down whether what you're seeing is machine-specific or potentially related to user profile.

0 Kudos
JessicaWaddell
New Contributor

I am having the same issue in version 2.3.0.  I try to add a chart to layout and everything freezes.  There is no way out, except to force close Pro and re-open.  I tried a different layout, and even deleted the entire chart and re-made it, with the same problem.

Unfortunately, finding out during a time crunch on a big project that I was unable to deliver was pretty bad timing.

JessiePechmann2
New Contributor II

Hi all,

It was unique to my profile. After significant testing, no solution was found. It is not possible for me to re-create my profile at this time. I'm bummed, I liked using Chart Frames! Have to go back to using copy and paste in from Excel. 

Hope this helps,

Jessie

0 Kudos