Why ArcGIS Pro fails to delete the tbx and gdb from the catalog,

03-20-2019 01:48 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Why ArcGIS Pro fails to delete the tbx and gdb from the catalog,

I couldn’t figure out why the ArcGIS Pro fails to delete the tbx and gdb from the catalog

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
12 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you start a project that is not using a common FGDB or TBX, a "default" one is created in the project folder whether you want or need it (and you generally don't). You cannot delete it. Be sure to vote on https://community.esri.com/ideas/12835 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Again - it isn't that these can't be deleted per se.  It is that they are set as the Project's default tbx, gbd...

If you had another gdb and another tbx in the project, and set those as the defaults (with the home icon) you would then be able to delete gas.tbx and gas.gdb.  Essentially, the project needs a default gdb and tbx.  I don't think it has as much to do with templates, rather https://community.esri.com/ideas/14580 for which there are numerous ways to set up your project workflows to work how you want.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

your choices can be specified as default options.  But there are some defaults that are required as Kory says.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Create a junk project if you just want to mess around and try something and not be worried about what happens to it.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

We much more free in ArcMap in all terms!

Jamal Numan
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am beginning to believe that the slow protracted move from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro wasn't a good thing. 

The move from ArcMap 3.x to ArcGIS was painful for some, but it was over quickly and the past was left behind.

Although ERROR 999999 is a softer touch than Segmentation Violation

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I need to mention that users who have been using ArcMap since ages will never know how to live with less functionalities\capabilities\options in Pro

When migrating from 3.X to ArcGIS, we lost nothing but a lot have been added.

Jamal Numan
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The default.gdb in ArcMap also cannot be deleted.  

It is necessary to make another geodatabase default first, and then you are able to delete it. Pro works the same way.

JayJohnson6
New Contributor III

Jamal,

Are you on a company network or using all of your data on D:? 

Isn't 😧 and E: usually the DVD drive?  If so, your data needs to move to either C: on the hard drive, or some network folder.

You should avoid saving anything on a Citrix file share, as it only leads to heartache.  If you are working remotely from home, try to match up your drive letters to the GIS system in the office.  (This is very, very true in AutoCAD also.)

If the file existed as an .mxd, you should use Open without a template; then Insert tab, then Import Map.  This avoids the defaults in the .apr format above.  Those are two significant differences from the .mxd format.  Essentially, ignore those defaults.  This is my suggestion in ArcMap as well...ignore the default geodatabase and save to a network drive organized by project.  Making a huge default .gdb just leads to owning a big bucket of trash.

If you have very slow and large raster imagery, that might belong on C: since it will be much faster to cut imagery apart or assemble a mosaic.

If you have a .sde connection in Catalog, you will need to copy it from the user profile to a system folder.

Jay