application settings - retired

Jump to solution
03-20-2019 12:51 PM
MikeOnzay
Occasional Contributor III

I'm reviewing items for a user who is no longer in my organization. Under application settings for a web map, I see "Retired" after routing, measure tool, and basemap selector. If I want to keep this web map is there a quick fix? Or, do I need to recreate the map? I did try using "save as" but that didn't work.

retired app settings for web map

update: I originally thought I was seeing "Retired" because the web map was a couple of years old. Now I'm seeing it on an web map I created two days ago. Did the AGOL update last night cause this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the update to AGOL is the reason you see these retired badges. These setting don't impact the validity of the web map. There is nothing to fix. It's simply a notice to indicate that at the next release, you will no longer be able to configure these app settings. They will be removed from the user interface.

These settings originally provided you some level of control over whether these tools would be available in applications like the original Collector app. If you turned it off, it wouldn't appear in the app. However, I don't believe any current application uses these settings, so they're kind of obsolete now. However, instead of just removing them, we're providing a warning that they will be removed.

Here's a reference in the documentation regarding this

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/set-options-for-apps.htm 

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, the update to AGOL is the reason you see these retired badges. These setting don't impact the validity of the web map. There is nothing to fix. It's simply a notice to indicate that at the next release, you will no longer be able to configure these app settings. They will be removed from the user interface.

These settings originally provided you some level of control over whether these tools would be available in applications like the original Collector app. If you turned it off, it wouldn't appear in the app. However, I don't believe any current application uses these settings, so they're kind of obsolete now. However, instead of just removing them, we're providing a warning that they will be removed.

Here's a reference in the documentation regarding this

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/set-options-for-apps.htm 

Hope this helps,

Mike

deleted-user-e85gf8f4p25S
New Contributor

Hi Mike,

Good to know. I'm a little unclear on this, as the provided link seems to be info on how to configure the settings that are going away.  Does this mean that webmap users will no longer be able to measure or change the basemap in a webmap? Or does this mean that, as content creators, we can't take the ability to measure/change basemaps away from the user, but the user will still be able to use these tools?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Greta Robison

No, this retirement shouldn't impact you. These settings were initially used by the original Collector because the app itself didn't allow configuration (I believe). It was a way to expose application level settings from within the map. Any ESRI app that utilized them, will ignore these settings moving forward and do any configuration within the app itself. 

Mike

EricSchmidt
New Contributor

A portion of the District Lookup widget in Web AppBuilder demands that Routing be enabled in the Web map for the widget's Directions function to work. No longer being able to do that appears to have eliminated half of that great widget's functionality.

So what are our options to replace that functionality now that we can no longer configure that widget as we used to?

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Eric Schmidt‌,

I've been told by my WAB colleagues that the District Lookup widget no longer uses the web map configuration option and is configured directly from the widget itself.

Also, just to be clear, the options are still available and can be set in the UX, even though they have the "retired" banner. Perhaps it would have been better to have banners that said "will be retired" at the next release.I beleve that Esri's apps have accounted for this retirement and made adjustments already, except for released apps that are no longer being updated, like the original Collector, which I suppose people could still be using.

Mike

EricSchmidt
New Contributor

Thank, Mike. That's great to know. 

0 Kudos