Reprojecting circle features

03-19-2019 07:28 AM
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

I have created a simple circle feature and tried to reproject it onto an equidistant cylindrical projection which I am using. I created the circle in a dataframe with this projection and it does not compensate for the spatial distortions towards the poles.  I have used the feature class reprojection tool under data management. I was expecting the rendering of the circle to be corrected for these distortions. I am using ArcGIS 10.5. I must have missed something obvious, a suggestion would be welcome. Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you have a screen grab ? and what longitudinal bands do you need to do this for?

I am thinking Tissot's indicatrix - Wikipedia  and whether you need the circles to be of the same size or just shape (see images for global data in the link)

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Circle features are maintained as circles, assuming that you're more interesting in keeping the feature as a circle. That viewpoint is coming from street/parcel design. 

To get it to reflect the distortions in a projection, you will have to convert it to a polygon by densifying it.

Melita

BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Dan please find a screen shot attached, you can see the spatial distortion in the crater outline which are usually circular or thereabouts. Melita I have tried what you suggested and could not get it to work, the function failed with a warning 000117.

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Which tool? 

0 Kudos
BrianKneller
New Contributor III

Sorry for the omission  I used the Geodetic Densifying tool

0 Kudos