Legend line thickness does not reflect Symbols thickness

03-19-2019 12:57 PM
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor

Here are two elements in the legend coming from two different layers (ArcGIS Pro 2.3.1)

In the table of contents the Region line thickness is 8 and the Zone line thickness is 4.  Why are they showing up as the same line thickness in the legend.

Any suggestions to fix this is most welcome.

Thanks

Brian

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian, 

This is on purpose. In order to always display a fill for the polygon (even if it is empty) the legend will limit the thickness of the outline to about 1/4 the size of the patch. If you want to preserve thick polygon outlines in the legend you will need to increase the size of the legend patch. 

If you do not want to change the size of the legend patch there is no way to adjust the outline width of a legend patch manually. You will need to create your own graphic separate from the legend.

Hope this helps, 

Tom

0 Kudos
BrianKaplan
Occasional Contributor

Tom,

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I changed the patch size as shown below and now the vertical alignment of the symbol and the text are thrown off.  I try to adjust for this using the Indents/Classes option which moves the entire row.  When the text left aligns the alignment of the symbols becomes less then desired. I would prefer the symbols be vertically centered.

While I understand the fill area could become crowded out with a thicker line, which I've experienced in ArcMap, I wish there was another option than converting the legend to graphics.  I avoid converting the legend to graphics as much as possible.  If I had my druthers, I would go with a crowded fill in the legend like ArcMap than the outcome here.  Perhaps additional options can be offered to get the best of both methods.

Thanks

Brian

Increase in patch size

Change in classes indent value

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian, 

Thanks for the feedback.  There is an entry on the Ideas site that we are keeping an eye on - https://community.esri.com/ideas/15119-arcgis-pro-legend-options. Please feel free to add your comments and suggestions. We hope to have a legend improvement project (maybe in 2020 or 2021) and feedback is crucial in helping us design and prioritize the changes we make to the software.

Thanks, 

Tom

0 Kudos