ArcGIS PRO: Field calculator and Selection not working

03-15-2019 09:04 AM
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi guys,

I am pretty familiar with Field Calculator in ArcMap and PRO.

I've learned that the field calculator calculates values only for selected features. Not today.

I wanted the 0.15 value only for the 13 selected features. All my 1200 features now have 0.15.

Is there any option to disable this that I might have chosen by mistake?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pro 2.3.1

I have never had a problem

But... there is a toggle that I always use in case I make a mistake... it is a little bit of effort to toggle it on and make sure you save what you want, but it is worth the extra safety.

DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad you are finding the Undo toggle button useful.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Nice addition... it prevents sad faces in class

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by

Well,

no doubt: you aren't a champion in this Community, you are a saviour!

Thanks!

But I would prefer the dear old warning message in ArcMap, annoying but effective.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I remember that... but my students used to check the 'Don't warn me again' checkbox and we would have sad faces all round

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by

I personally think that esri should remove the option "Don't warn me again" here in Field Calculator and when you add a new layer in a different Coordinate System.

I know many people do it just because they are annoyed, then they make disasters.

0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor

This came up in a previous geonet discussion https://community.esri.com/message/736034-applying-field-calculator-only-on-selected-features?q=calc... 

The issue was found to be caused by duplicate layer names in Contents, and the Calculate Field tool used the duplicate layer that didn't have a selection rather than the duplicate layer that had the selection. Can you confirm if you have multiple layers with the same name? 

PanGIS
by
Hi Drew,
I tested again before replying.
Maybe I found the reason:
I have the same layer in 2 different maps.
I might have opened the 2 tables form both maps and opened the field calculator from the one with no selection by mistake.
Something to pay attention to for the future, since in PRO all maps are virtually active.
0 Kudos