Real-time Satellite tracker link

03-12-2019 12:34 PM
LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

I work on a project that deploys satellite trackers on sea turtles and I'm wondering if there is a way that this data could be displayed either in ArcPro or in ArcGIS Online somehow, either through a webapp or something else?  The company that makes the trackers is called Argos.  

In ArcPro I see you can add a "stream layer" and I'm wondering if this is what I would need to do to display the data in real-time.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Argos has a sort-of-api How to access to your satellite data ? - Argos  that you can pipe into ArcGIS GeoEvent Server | Real-Time Mapping and Analytics - Esri. You could go with ESRI Managed Services in Amazon to get this rolling, the infrastructure investment to host this on your own will be quite prohibitive. But to answer your question directly, no, you can't do this with Pro alone: you'll need some sort of enterprise solution to ingest the data from Argos 

0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3

Thanks for all the info and getting back to me so quickly Tom.  This makes me wonder if I'm going about it the wrong way.  Since we're really only getting a few locations a day at most from the trackers I'm thinking a live feed may not be quite so necessary.  Do you know of a way that we could have a shapefile automatically updated every day instead?  For example instead of us going to Argos and downloading the new csv. then reloading it to Arc as a shp. when we need to, there could just be a direct connection that updates the shapefile at a set time once a day or even just once every couple of days?

Let me know what you think of if I'd be better off posing this question in a different forum.

Thanks again,

Leif

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could use python and Wget - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation to automate this, I wouldn't use a shapefile, though, use Updating your hosted feature services with ArcGIS Pro and the ArcGIS API for Python 

0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3

Perfect!  Thanks Tom, I'll give it a shot.

0 Kudos