AnsweredAssumed Answered

Survey123 uses location services in background - drains battery fast!

Question asked by TIDB02 on Mar 11, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2019 by TIDB02

When Survey123 (version 3.3.26) on iOS asks permission to use Location Services, I select the 'while using the app' option.

If I check iOS' location services settings, it shows that Survey123 is configured to use location services while using the app and not 'always' or 'never'.

Nevertheless, any time after launching Survey123, it uses location services continuously, whether Survey123 is running on screen or even when it is in the background (and even if the device is idle - I think) and drains the battery very fast.  This is occurring for a number of our users and is causing serious problems here.

Is this a known problem?  Are there any known fixes or work arounds other than killing Survey123 when not in use (or disabling location services when not in use)?

We do not have this problem on our older iOS devices which can only run version 2.8.2 of Survey123, and we only started having this problem on our newer devices recently.  I think it may be related to the recent update of Survey123.

Even if this was working properly, it should not drain the battery this fast.  Does Survey123 allow deferred location updates?  This dramatically increases battery life in the location-aware apps that I've written.  (see:  allowDeferredLocationUpdatesUntilTraveled:timeout: - CLLocationManager | Apple Developer Documentation  )

(also see:  locationManager:didUpdateLocations: - CLLocationManagerDelegate | Apple Developer Documentation  - the old way doesn't work with deferred location updates).

Outcomes