3D rendering of a hillshade draped on a DEM

03-11-2019 10:38 AM
DaveGregovich
New Contributor II

Hi,

In an ArcGIS Pro scene, I am attempting to display a hillshade raster draped on a 20-m pixel, 7500X7500 cell DEM. The map meets my requirements except that when viewed at a scale of 200,000 above ground, there are empty patches in the hillshade, these go away at 75,000 feet above ground zoom or less, but I would like to produce maps at the smaller (200,000 ft) scale.  I have offset the hillshade 100 m above the DEM to avoid any instances of the hillshade 'tunneling' below the DEM. There should be no horizontal offset between the hillshade and DEM as the hillshade is a direct derivative of the DEM. I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4.

Thanks kindly for any help you might provide! See illustrations below.

White patches in 200, 000 ft above ground zoom view of hillshade draped on DEM.

White patches do disappear at 75,000 ft zoom level or less.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

It is interesting that the "white" areas show up specifically where the darkest part of the hillshade would be.  This suggests that possibly you've got something going on with your #nodata values interacting with your stretch and resample type?  To see whether this idea is vallid, try setting NoData to an obnoxious color and see if your white areas turn that color.NoData

Jay
Washoe County GIS
DaveGregovich
New Contributor II

Thanks Jay, this was helpful--when I scaled the grey scale values so they reached a minimum a bit lighter than pure 0,0,0 black, the surface displays fine.

0 Kudos