Heat map in Portal for ArcGIS

03-08-2019 11:08 AM
JimGarcia
New Contributor II

I created a point layer, and it is published to our Portal App. I want to create a Heat map, but the option is not available. How can I get that option?

Tags (1)
10 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jim,

> I created a point layer, and it is published to our Portal App. I want to create a Heat map, but the option is not available. How can I get that option?

What release of Portal for ArcGIS are you using? Are you trying to symbolize your point data as a heat map in the Portal Map Viewer? or within a different web app? If the latter, which app?

FYI, the Heat Map style is not supported for layers with clustering enabled.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
JimGarcia
New Contributor II

Hi! Our organization is at ArcGIS v10.5. Yes, I was in the map viewer that we use for our web app. So I see that we would need to upgrade for us to enable the clustering capability. Since then, I figured that we would need to publish the layers as feature services and add them to the map as such. Then I was able to create heat map layers. However, I encountered a new issue: slow draw time and we will probably have to cache the layers to help speed up that draw time. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

0 Kudos
ErikGlenn1
New Contributor II

Derek,

I have the same question... We're on 10.6.1 Enterprise Portal, and from what I can see in the help docs, the heat map styling option should be available for points at this version. I am using a hosted feature layer, BTW, and I'm only trying to use the Portal Map Viewer...

Thanks in advance,.

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Erik, you should also look at verifying that the Portal Geoprocessing tools are enabled and shared to the Portal admin UI. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
ErikGlenn1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Jacob. Could you elaborate a bit? The Feature Analysis--Standard Tools are enabled, and I can utilize the Analysis button from the Portal Map Viewer. Utility services, including Geoenrichment, are configured.

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

Sure,

That's what I was referring to. Make sure you've selected Show Location Only in the drop-down labeled 1 under the Change Style menu .

When I tested this out, if you choose a field or the layer loads with a field selected, it won't let you choose heat map.

Maybe that's it?

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
ErikGlenn1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, no. I have Show Location Only selected, and it still won't work. Thanks for the help anyway. Maybe Derek might have some additional thoughts.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Erik,

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions to help troubleshoot your issue. Please contact Esri Tech Support so they can look into your issue further. Sorry.

PrasadPatil1
New Contributor II

I have also observed that for grouped layers you cannot generate a heat map.

The heat map option will be available once you place a copy of the layer outside the group.