Can ArcMap recognize sensor places in one specific highway?

Jump to solution
03-08-2019 10:31 AM
SeyedaliGhafelebashizarand
New Contributor

I am using ArcMap 10.6.1 for my research. I have a dataset that has GPS addresses of sensors in the highway with their ID. I use the street map to show sensors in the map.
I wanted to ask whether ArcMap has an option to show all sensors in one highway just by choosing one of them. It is possible to check the map of streets and choose sensors one by one and extract their ID but I thought maybe ArcMap can be able to do it for me. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Seyedali, assuming your GPS addresses are a point layer and your streets are a (vector) line layer, you have a couple of options:

- Select a highway of interest, then open the Select by Location tool. Choose to select sensors that intersect the selected highway (other spatial relationships are available to choose from if needed). Those sensors will be selected on the map and you can display or save them as their own layer if desired.

- Perform a spatial join between the highways and the sensors--this will output a new feature class that contains the line and sensor attributes. Selecting a line feature would select the sensors along that line in the attribute table.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Seyedali, assuming your GPS addresses are a point layer and your streets are a (vector) line layer, you have a couple of options:

- Select a highway of interest, then open the Select by Location tool. Choose to select sensors that intersect the selected highway (other spatial relationships are available to choose from if needed). Those sensors will be selected on the map and you can display or save them as their own layer if desired.

- Perform a spatial join between the highways and the sensors--this will output a new feature class that contains the line and sensor attributes. Selecting a line feature would select the sensors along that line in the attribute table.  

0 Kudos