How to create AOI (Area of Interest) in 3D format?

03-08-2019 06:40 AM
QianYe
by
New Contributor

Does anyone know how do I create the "aoi_park" as mentioned in the tutorial? You can see the "aoi_park" I refer to at the beginning of below video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-pi7Eih-5I

The "aoi_park" is not a simple polygon, it's a Area Of Interest (AOI) layer in 3D format. I know how to create AOI in 2D, but not 3D. I created a 2D AOI and load to my map with 3D buildings and terrain, it looks weird, since some parts of the 2D AOI would fall under ground. And it won't let me run the function to evaluate shadow because it requires 3D AOI.
Does anyone know how to create an AOI in 3D format? I tried to search a lot, but without any luck yet. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I have not viewed the tutorial, but you could use 3D Analyst Tools >> Functional Surface >> Interpolate Shape to add z information from a surface. The default sampling distance is your raster cell size, or you could set it to 1/2 your cell size. As and aside, you can set an offset of 1 (or more) map units to bring your dataset above your other data.

Best Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
QianYe
by
New Contributor

Hi Jim, thanks a lot for your reply. I tried the method you suggested, it worked to convert the 2D AOI to 3D AOI. However, I'm confused with the resulted 3D AOI. It appears a little higher than DTM. When I turn on DTM and 3D buildings layers, it looks normal. However, when I turn on 3D AOI and 3D buildings, some short buildings disappear (hidden under 3D AOI). Would you know how possibly I can fix this? Thanks

0 Kudos