How do I manually split a line in Parcel Fabric?

03-07-2019 11:20 AM
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

Problem Context: I'm working right now on several highway plats. Part of this process in my county is designating certain parcel lines as Road Frontage so their symbology is different from a parcel boundary line. Working the highway plats necessitates making some changes to existing parcels. There are instances in which a parcel is drawn with a long boundary line or curve that, because of my highway plat, need to be split so that I can call a portion of the line Road Frontage.

Other notes:

-It is not an issue of regular intervals. The distance is different in each situation, and I often don't have a specific dimension telling me where to split the line. The original plat won't have the point at which the highway plat will intersect it, and the highway plat doesn't have the dimensions of its neighboring parcel.

-I have not been successful in using Breakpoint because I don't want a new construction and I also don't always have a specific dimension from the plat that will tell me where to split the line. It is not an issue of regular intervals either.

-I know that I can manually calculate and measure in order to insert a new line to be drawn in the traverse grid, but that doesn't work well on curves and I would like to find a simpler method.

From what I understand, if I was using the regular Editor toolbar, I could just use the Split tool to click where I want to split the line or curve. Then I could select the new segment that I want to be Road Frontage. I am searching for something equivalently simple to use in the Parcel Editor toolbar.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

this isn't a perfect solution, but have you tried drawing out the new highway parcels and performing a parcel remainder operation on the neighboring parcels?

edit: i reread your question and i would probably try drawing out the highway parcels, selecting the highway parcel and the neighboring parcel, then doing a "construct from parent" operation to separate out my road frontage from the neighboring parcels

0 Kudos
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

That's exactly the method we use to draw the highway parcels! However, another relevant note: in our county, we don't keep the right-of-way polygons after we draw the piece from the plat. Before we delete/mark historical the newly drawn polygon, are you suggesting we select the highway polygon and the neighbor polygon simultaneously and use Construct From Parent? I've tried a couple things with Construct From Parent but it always creates a new "construction" and won't simply let me split the line. Am I crazy for thinking there has got to be a simpler way to do this?

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

the construct from parent operation will always create a new parcel, ideally with the line split where you need it because the resulting lines run a different course than the parent parcel. if there is an easier way i haven't figured it out yet. you can't really split lines in a parcel fabric like you can with the split tool on the editor, you have to have a measurement/distance/radius. since the parcel fabric utilizes points, lines and polygons all at the same time to create the parcel. everything has to connect and close. 

another method i've used in the past when i don't have new measurements but existing parcels that work is create a new line feature class, add cogo fields (Adding COGO fields to a feature class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ), trace along my parcel, edit it as i need to (like in your case, split it using the basic tool), select the lines i need measurements for, then use the "update cogo attributes" on the COGO toolbar. the resulting attribute table will contain the measurements you're lacking for a new parcel, or at least an approximation thereof. 

0 Kudos
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

That's pretty much what we've been doing, we had just hoped there was a better way. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

for sure, if you figure out something better post an update! i know i'd like to have one lol

0 Kudos