Sink prescreening and evaluation

03-05-2019 11:58 PM
Labels (1)
AlexanderVentura
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have successfully run a dendritic terrain analysis following “…case 8: Completely dendritic terrain with known stream locations (using synthetic streams)” in the “Overview of Arc Hydro Terrain Preprocessing Workflows” manual (ESRI 2013). The results (drainage basins) are close enough (despite a few differences) to known drainage basins in the area.

I then started wondering whether I should have considered if there are potential sinks/depressions (such as wetlands for example). I am working with a relatively large (approx. 900 km2) and relatively flat area (lots of agricultural fields). Most of the water drains into a large lake (which in my specific case acts as the sea basically) through several major streams (not all interconnected but all “exiting” my DEM so they don’t get refilled after DEM reconditioning).

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding running or not the “Sink prescreening” and “Sink evaluation” tools. Essentially would I be committing a serious mistake if I assumed my case is “completely dendritic”?

Also, should I want to run the sink prescreening/evaluation and basically run a combined dendritic/deranged terrain analysis, what case in the manual I mention above should I use? It seems like the closest would be “case 4” (Combined dendritic/deranged terrain with unknown initial sink and stream locations) however I DO know my stream location (I have a stream feature class I want to burn in).

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Alex

0 Kudos
0 Replies