How to create Circle Polygons with minimum area inside of other Polygons?

03-05-2019 09:46 AM
PhilipUrban
New Contributor II

I have a Feature Class with Polygons to show areas, which fit to different characteristics I chose. In this case the Polygons show a combination of a landcover classification and the slope of the terrain. The goal is to find possible landing spots for helicopters. I extracted the areas with no forest oder any other obstacles out of the landcover classification and the areas with a maximum slope of 8° out oft he terrain model.

This leads to the polygons where helicopters can land, but one characteristic is missing: the area, a helicopter needs to land.

To use the shape_area isn’t an option, because it does not validate the shape of the area.

How can i find cirlces with a diameter of 22m, that are completely contained inside of the described polygons?

I tried the Feature to Point Tool and buffered the Points with 11m. But there is only one point per Polygon and i need to find circles of 22m diameter anywhere inside the Polygons and not only around the center.

Thanks for your help,

cheers

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Philip,

You could try creating a sampling of multiple points within the polygons using either the Create Fishnet tool, or the Create Random Points tool. From there you could create the 22 m Buffer and use a Spatial Join to identify the circles entirely within the no-forest areas. 

Additional Documentation: http://gis.mtu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Regular_Sampling_Tutorial.pdf 

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions. 

PhilipUrban
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help! 

Creating Random Points inside the Polygons and then buffer them worked very good. When I do the spatial join, i get the complete Polygons where helicopters can land. But I need the buffered Points, which fit into these polygons. It's a matter of selection, but I don't get, how to select only the fitting buffered Points. 

Do you have a hint for me?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sure! As I understand, we would want to select all 22m circles that fit entirely in the non-forested polygons. Here is are the criteria I used for my Spatial Join (or Select by Location) when testing this:

• Target Feature: Buffer
  • Join Feature: Polygon
  • Join Operation: One to One
  • Keep All Target Feature: Unchecked (we only want the matching ones)
  • Match Option: Completely within

Select By Location: graphic examples—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hopefully that helps!

0 Kudos
PhilipUrban
New Contributor II

Hello Claire,

thank you very much for your help! My issue is solved, so i can continue with my Master Thesis  

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

i need to find circles of 22m diameter anywhere inside the Polygons and not only around the center.

Once you have a polygon large enough to hold a 22m diameter circle, there are an infinite number of locations (assuming infinite precision) in that polygon where a 22m circle can be centered.  For example, below is a square with 12 circles centered at random locations in the square.

In terms of landing a helicopter, there is nothing unique or special about the 12 locations above since everywhere in the square has the same land classification/attributes.

0 Kudos