Move raster after georeference not working

03-01-2019 10:36 AM
AndrewParker
New Contributor III

I commonly have to move a referenced raster after the initial georeference.  In ArcGIS Desktop no issues.  ArcGIS Pro the option is greyed out.  Why can't a raster be moved?  Export to raster does no do the trick either.

Workflow:

1. Create a polygon to correct dimension of well pad shown on survey.
  2. Georeference survey to polygon. Save.
  3. Move georeference raster to center well head shown on survey to a point feature.
  4. Move polygon to recenter on moved raster.

This allows me to align a georeferenced raster and polygon over a offset well point feature.

The work around is to scale and move, and repeat.  Not an efficient workflow.. 

How do you move a georeferenced raster? 

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So you aren't talking about using a tool like

Shift—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AndrewParker
New Contributor III

Shift will not work as I do not want to create another raster - just move it.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I only see tools for moving during the georeferencing process

Georeferencing tools—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Andrew,

I think I see what you are saying - after you georeference the raster, the "Prepare" tools (which include "Move") are greyed out.

I was able to do the following:

After the initial georeferencing is complete,SAVE, then CLOSE Georeference tab. 

Then go to the Imagery tab, Georeference (for the second time).

Now the Prepare tools are available again and you can MOVE the raster to a new location to get your offset.

Looks like you have to completely exit the Georeference tab and go back in #before you can do the second modification.

#raster

Jay
Washoe County GIS
AndrewParker
New Contributor III

Jay, I tried this and also closed out the project and reopened it.  I still did not have the option to move.  Ah, the fun working with ArcGIS.  I will be performing the task again within the next few days and I will try again and report back.

0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Well, if everything worked right the first time maybe we'd get bored...

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

@Andrew Parker   -- If I understand you, do you mean if you use the shift in georefrence an image and move it and then you try to use the control points and it doesn't show or refresh the image ?

0 Kudos
ChristopherBertrand
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew,

What is your end goal of the process and what is the purpose of the raster at multiple locations?

0 Kudos
py4wildlife
New Contributor III

I would like to note that this issue has occurred several times for me when using ArcGIS Pro. Some tif's will have the move button greyed out after saving edits and reopening with Georeference button. There is nothing I can do but delete position files and start over. It will commonly lose all control points. The other option is to create new control points to adjust the image just saved, without starting over.

Z. Smith, Ph.D.
GIS Analyst