Custom line types in DGN files read in ArcGIS

03-01-2019 07:18 AM
JakubOrálek
New Contributor II

Hello,

when reading the V8 DGN file in ArcGIS (direct read or CAD to GDB tool), I see only empty values for LineType for lines with custom line types in DGN e.g. "CL12" set in Microstation.

I would like to ask if this is a intended behavior or if this is a kind of ToDo or bug?

Is the only way to work with custom LineTypes DataInteroperability extension?

Thanks?

Filip

Tags (2)
1 Reply
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Filip,

When it comes to directly reading dgn files in ArcGIS, I have kind of accepted the fact that we are not going to see all of the data that is associated in the dgn, especially when there is any kind of customization. I do not work a lot in MicroStation but I work a lot with people who do. There are many weird things that happen without much explanation. The other day, I imported a dgn file that, in MicroStation, looked normal (showing roadway design, edge of pavement, etc.) and had no reference layers or whatever. But in ArcGIS Pro, there were like four times as many lines from something that wasn't even showing up in MicroStation. My CAD tech was puzzled by this, but after lots of troubleshooting, he eventually did some sort of compress or cleanup (or something) and it made the file behave normally in GIS.

Anyways, to answer your question, yes Interoperability should work (I haven't used it so I cannot say for sure) but I know that FME software works well for conversions. But, maybe there are setting in MicroStation you could apply to your file to make it be more recognized in GIS. It's worth a shot.

Good luck,

Adrian

0 Kudos