Extract roof form tool from lidar data errors

Jump to solution
02-28-2019 06:43 AM
Rens_Vermeltfoort
New Contributor II

Hello,

I want to extract the roof forms of buildings using Lidar data and buildings of Amsterdam.

I followed all the steps of the Esri tutorial for extracting rooftops from Lidar data.

I created a all the elevations layers (DSM, DTM, and nDSM) following all the steps of the tasks.

After running the extract roof form I get an error

The parameters are as following:

- minimum flat roof area: 250

- minimum slope roof area: 75

- minimum roof height: 8

First, after running I got the error 000735 that said that the parameters are invalid.

After playing with the parameters and using other building data I got the error 010423.

Who can help me out?

Greetings,

Rens

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

The lesson Extract Roof Forms for Municipal Development has been fixed and updated for the latest software versions.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hello Rens,

The most recent error (010423) generally occurs when the statistics for the input raster have not been calculated, contain a skip factor greater than 1, or contain an ignore value. Use the calculate statistics tool to make sure that statistics have been calculated on RoofSlopeAngle.

010423: does not have valid statistics as required by the operation.—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Calculate Statistics—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

After calculating statistics for the raster, are you successfully run the script? If not, are you getting the same error message?

Best,

Megan

0 Kudos
Rens_Vermeltfoort
New Contributor II

Hello Megan,

Thank you for you answer!

I calculated the raster statistics on the DSM, DTM, and nDSM. Still the same errors occurs. Everything works until the marking feature class and the error 000735 keeps occurring. Do you have a solution for this?

Greetings Rens

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi Rens,

The Learn lesson is quite out of date, I believe.

The latest local government 3D basemap solution has the most up-to-date tools.

https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/local-government-scenes/get-started/

Can you try that and see if it works?

0 Kudos
JenAmes
New Contributor III

I am working my way through the "Extract Roof Forms for Municipal Government" lesson and have run the Extract Roof Form tool multiple times, always receiving the same error. 
"Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000728: Field OBJECTID does not exist within table
Failed to execute (JoinField).
Completed script Extract Roof Form...
Failed to execute (ExtractRoofForm)."

I don't understand where OBJECTID doesn't exist from. It is in the building layer that I input, and all of the other layers are raster, so don't have OBJECTID fields. Where else would this tool be looking for that field? Why does it run through 30 minutes of steps to fail because supposedly OBJECTID doesn't exist?

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi Jen,

The Learn lesson is quite out of date, I believe.

The latest local government 3D basemap solution has the most up-to-date tools.

https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/local-government-scenes/get-started/

Can you try that and see if it works?

0 Kudos
G__AndrewFricker
New Contributor II

I'm also having a similar issue, I've worked my way through the local government tutorial and get a similar error message about the statistics (see message below).  I went back and calculated the statistics for each of the three input rasters, but still get the message.  I'm not sure how to calculate the stats for 'RoofSlopeAngle' as that's an intermediate layer that I don't calculate directly (I don't think).  

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks you.  

0 Kudos
DanielHedges
New Contributor III

Hi Andrew,

This looks similar to the previous errors. Are you using the "Extract Roof Forms for Municipal Government" Learn Lesson, or the current Local Government 3D Basemap solution?

We are working on updating the Learn Lesson to be in line with the current solution, and should be updated shortly, but until then, the 3D Basemap solution is the current supported version of this workflow.

0 Kudos
JenAmes
New Contributor III

Daniel,

I'm receiving the exact same error that G. Andrew Fricker‌ received. I was able to get it to work successfully once, but was not satisfied with the results, and therefore went through the whole process again. I am receiving the error in the Local Government 3D Basemaps solution, in the Create LOD2 Buildings first step. I followed every step through from the beginning when I decided to re-do the LOD2 buildings, so did I somehow miss a step this time through that didn't calculate statistics? Where in the Local Government 3D Basemap solution would I find the step to calculate statistics? Can I just pick up from that step, re-do it while calculating statistics, and continue forward? Or will I have to repeat the whole process again?

0 Kudos
G__AndrewFricker
New Contributor II

Jen Ames‌ I ran back through the whole "Local Government 3D Basemap" process as well, I did skip a few of the optional steps like the 'split buildings using features' step, because I didn't have feature to use, but I got the same error again at the 'Roof Slope Angle' step.  I feel like I must be missing something because I can't get it to run through once with any results.  Any tips?  

0 Kudos