Creating polygons based on shape area

02-28-2019 05:29 AM
VladDumitrescu
New Contributor

Hello,

In AutoCAD there is a function in the TopoLT addon called "Multiple Detach" Or simply put, "Detach".

It's function is to create a new polygon using an existing polygon features but splitting it based on surface. 

In the picture above, i have a polygon with a total surface. I can then specify to split that polygon based on a surface.

And this is the result.

We want this in ArcGIS but we can't seem to find a way and it's hard using multiple software and exporting and importing data is time consuming.

Is there a way to replicate such a function in ArcGIS?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
StephenM
Occasional Contributor II

The Cut Polygons or Split Polygons tool in ArcMap, or the Split tool in ArcGIS Pro might be what you're looking for:

Splitting a polygon—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

Splitting a polygon by an overlapping feature—Help | ArcGIS Desktop

Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
VladDumitrescu
New Contributor

Stephen,

We know about the split tool using editor and other tools. But with those options you have no control over how much area you cut.

For example out of 1200 i need to split the polygon into two features, one of 1000 and another of 200. Splitting it by eye doesn't give me information of how much i cut only after i splited the polygon.

The situation i gave in Autocad lets me select the polygon i want to split in parcels and specify the area that the polygon has to have.