Orthorectifying Scanned Historical Aerial Imagery in ArcGIS Pro

02-27-2019 06:32 AM
ElizabethBazluke
New Contributor II

I am working with scanned historical imagery (NHAP 1984-87, 600dpi) to georeference, orthorecitify, and mosaic the images into a single shapefile for county data. I have recently acquired the photo index and the associated camera calibration reports. In my previous workflow in ArcMap 10.5, I manually georeferenced the images and created a mosaic in ERDAS Imagine. However, I am transitioning to ArcGIS Pro v2.2 and looking to see if there is a better method of creating the mosaics. 

So far, I am able to georeference the images in ArcPro but can't seem to get the Historical_Imagery_GP_Tools python script (http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d1b4e3afeda7405fb34578207f0ad256 ) to provide more than one basic "tool". I have been referencing this http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc17/tech-workshops/tw_638-626.pdf and it seems like there should be three tools within the toolbox, which I don't see. 

Additionally, I've tried following the ESRI process (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/imagery/create-an-ortho-mapping-workspace-from-scanned-a...) but get stuck making the ortho mapping workspace because I can't seem to find the "Build Frame and Camera Tables Tool" in the Options>All Commands menu. 

I am seriously stuck and am looking for any help. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ElizabethBazluke
New Contributor II

Yes i have an advanced license, and yes I've tried the process. It simply doesn't appear when I go to Project > Options > Customize the Ribbon> All commands. I'm not sure if there is some sort of work around or I don't have some sort of licensing enabled or what. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't know, but I am licensed for pretty well everything and it is there.  Compare and see what you are missing

ElizabethBazluke
New Contributor II

Okay thank you! That might be what I'm missing. I'll have to see about getting the licensing and see if that fixes the problem. 

0 Kudos
SimonWoo
Esri Contributor

Elizabeth,

The Build Frames and Cameras Table tool was introduced in Pro 2.3. 

Therefore you would need to upgrade to the latest release in order to use that tool. 

In Pro 2.2 and prior, you had to manually create the 2 tables.

0 Kudos
ElizabethBazluke
New Contributor II

Okay, as I don't currently have 2.3, might the aforementioned Historical Imagery Python Tool script help? I'm not sure why that isn't loading all the tool functions either. 

This is what I think I'm supposed to have access to: 

Here is what I actually have access to:

seems like something is wrong...

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Elizabeth

you're correct, there is something wrong.  That toolbox contains 3 tools, and you're not getting access to them.

I'm looking into why, but I am also sending you a message re: helping with this.

Cody B. 

NickWeil
New Contributor III

Hello Elizabeth Bazluke,

I am interested in undertaking a similar project to yours (scanned county aerial photos to an orthomosaic) and wondered if you had success performing this process in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
ElizabethBazluke
New Contributor II

I have not had success in ArcGIS Pro currently, though I've had to take a break due to other projects. Hopefully we can work together on this as it sounds like our projects are very similar. 

0 Kudos