Adapting GIS Tutorial 3 book for ArcGIS10 to ArcGIS Pro

02-22-2019 09:07 AM
Labels (1)
BradleyNissen
New Contributor

Hi All, 

GIS Newb here - I am taking a course on Geodatabases that uses GISTutorial Advanced Workbook 3 by David Allen and Jeffery Coffey. I took a previous course in ArcGIS Pro, and I would like to continue to learn on this platform - as it is the future. Does anyone else have experience adapting these tutorials for Pro? I know the new book comes out in a few months, but I'm in the class now so I am stuck with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. specifically I am interested in figuring out how to use the data provided for the course to do the tutorials, especially Tutorial 4. The Pro version won't recognize the data stored in Microsoft Access files and I'm not sure how to work around that. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor

ArcGIS Pro does not recognize the older Microsoft Access .mdb files.  You could, in ArcMap, create a new File Geodatabase, and copy the feature classes from the .mdb personal geodatabase into the new File Geodatabase.  Do you have access to ArcMap?

0 Kudos
BradleyNissen
New Contributor

Robert, Thanks for your response. I have asked my professor to install ArcMap in our lab - but for the moment I don't have access to it. It should come soon. I honestly asked for it to simply resign myself to working out the tutorial in ArcMap instead - but it's good to know that is an option. Meanwhile I guess I just have to wait... 

0 Kudos
BradleyNissen
New Contributor

Robert, if I was to do this - I am assuming you mean from there I could transfer the files to pro? I have gotten access to ArcMap now. 

0 Kudos
RobertBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Bradley,

ArcGIS Pro can use File Geodatabases directly.  So if you were to create one using ArcMap and then copy the feature classes from the Personal Geodatabase .mdb into the File Geodatabase, you could then go to ArcGIS Pro's Catalog pane and navigate to the File Geodatabase to see and use the feature classes inside it.

BradleyNissen
New Contributor

Robert, perfect - this should solve my problem. Thank you! 

0 Kudos