Removing ADFS Login For StoryMaps

Jump to solution
02-21-2019 10:09 AM
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I have a storymap that is shared to a group that has members from outside our organization.  When attempting to access the storymap, users from outside the organization are redirected to the ADFS login screen for our organization.  Is there anyway to stop this redirection?  All elements of the storymap (web maps, dashboards, and feature services) are shared properly to the group and can be accessed individually by users outside the organization just not the storymap that houses all of these individual elements.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew -- I believe this is a current limitation with having private apps embedded in the story map. If the story map just has private maps, scenes, and /or layers sharing across orgs should work, but since you have an embedded web app (like Ops Dashboard or Web AppBuilder, etc.) you're running into this limitation with passing authorization between apps.

You could try removing any embedded apps and see if that helps. You could replace the apps with screenshots and have links that open the apps in another browser tab. That way the reader could log in (or their token may even be passed automatically) when the app opens in a new tab.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Andrew -- I believe this is a current limitation with having private apps embedded in the story map. If the story map just has private maps, scenes, and /or layers sharing across orgs should work, but since you have an embedded web app (like Ops Dashboard or Web AppBuilder, etc.) you're running into this limitation with passing authorization between apps.

You could try removing any embedded apps and see if that helps. You could replace the apps with screenshots and have links that open the apps in another browser tab. That way the reader could log in (or their token may even be passed automatically) when the app opens in a new tab.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AndrewSouthern
Occasional Contributor

I believe you are correct about the authentication not passing.  Unfortunately all items within the storymap are actually apps (dashboards and web app) so the storymap itself becomes somewhat meaningless without being able to display these apps.  This method of "nesting" apps within the storymap as embedded content works wonderfully when shared within the organization.  I really like how organized it feels rather than jumping around from item to item in the Group contents.

Our organization plans to roll out portal in the next month or so.  Would you anticipate the same authentication issue using portal versus AGOL?

Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos