Why does "Open in ArcGIS Pro" via AGOL open up a new instance of Pro?

02-20-2019 07:11 AM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

From the Item Detail page of an AGOL Hosted Feature Service, one has the option to "Open in ArcGIS Desktop" or "Open in ArcGIS Pro". 

Pick the desktop one, and file downloads, and, if ArcMap is already open, the service will load in the currently open instance of ArcMap. 

Not in Pro 2.3. Pick "Open in ArcGIS Pro", a .pitemx file downloads, click on it, and it fires a new instance of Pro, which is bug. Why, if I already have an instance of Pro running, would I want another instance started just to view the service? The whole point of the AGOL functionality is you can, while having an instance of Pro running, click "Open in Pro", and that AGOL service would open in that instance. The reason, I suspect, is that Pro doesn't know which map to assign the .pitemx file to, so it defaults to a new instance, which doesn't make the behavior acceptable. 

1 Reply
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Tom.

I don't have an answer as to why but I do see the same behavior on my end. Give it some time, there may be someone who replies here with the answer. But, if not, feel free to reach out to Support so they can log the issue and decide how best to move forward here.

Jonathan