How to derive building footprints and height from DSM ?

02-20-2019 08:45 AM
ShubhamBhatia
New Contributor II

I have DSM of an area generated using UAV imagery ; from which i want to extract building footprints and height values. Is there any tool in arcgis pro or some other way ; so that i can use them in generation of 3D city models using CityEngine. 

Your early reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies
ShubhamBhatia
New Contributor II

In my case I don't even have building footprints. Also i don't want to digitize each building manually, so if there is any other way ? I just have DSM and UAV imagery of that area with me.

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe here - Extract Roof Forms for Municipal Development | Learn ArcGIS 

or here

"..

Let's say you have DEM and DSM as Raster Data available (if not then google "ArcGIS convert LAS Multipoints to Raster"):

1. Import DEM and DSM layers as Terrain Layers in CityEngine.
  2. Make sure that you convert your elevation data from feet to meter - if needed using the layer attribute window.
  3. Create a cga with two attributes: attr Ground_H = 0 attr Eave_H = 0
  4. Create a start rule rule: Footprint --> extrude(Eave_H-Ground_H) X.
  5. Connect the two attributes with the height values from each terrain layer
  6. Run the rule and have fun!

This is of course quite basic. But now you could extend this rule with generating roof shapes among other things.

At this point it is up to you if you use rule by thumb precision for reconstructing the shapes or if you invest more time to classify building with roof forms, orientation, style etc.

In any case, the generated geometry is great to generate floors and to run reports on surfaces etc..."

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

One paper to help you AUTOMATED BUILDING FOOTPRINTS EXTRACTION FROM DTM AND DSM IN ARCGIS

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.742.2429&rep=rep1&type=pdf 

0 Kudos