Is Geoportal still alive and well?

02-18-2019 09:40 AM
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

Hi. 

I would like to know if ESRI plans to continue developing Geoportal?  I am looking to implement some sort of visual catalog/directory for spatial data, services and apps.  I see that the Geoportal project in GitHub has not been updated since 2017.  I know there are other opensource solutions available like GeoNode and GeoNetwork, but I would like to know where ESRI is planning to go with this sort of site.   

Thanks for any help one can provide, Dixie.

4 Replies
TilmannSteinmetz2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dixie, seeing that there hasn't been a reply in a few weeks I thought I'd comment quickly with what I know:

I believe you must have looked at the "old" version of geoportal-server in github (a Version 1.x) whereas new development is going on for the newer version (a Version 2.x) - see screenshot from Github below.

We've recently installed both versions and my understanding is that both are functional, though the 'recommended' install would be the Version 2. There are fundamental differences between the two, both in terms of technology and look and feel, but the most fundamental (to me at least) appears to be that the newer incarnation of Geoportal is more "modular" than the previous one: you'll see below that installs are available for "Geoportal-server-catalog" as well as for "geoportal-server-harvester" - so the two can be installed and used in isolation from each other.

We've previously used the Geoportal Clients for ArcMap 10.6.1 which work for Geoportal Version 1.x though not for Version 2.x at the moment- we've been told that a new version of the clients is soon to be available (and we're also hoping that it will be available for ArcGIS Pro).

In short, I believe, the answer to your question is "yes". Esri have also been good at providing some advice around installation and configuration when we got in touch with them about this.

Tilmann

0 Kudos
TilmannSteinmetz2
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Dixie_MDavis
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response and the information, Tilmann.  Good to know that there is use and new development.  I appreciate your time and insights.

Best, Dixie.

0 Kudos
MartenHogeweg
Esri Contributor

hi all,

YES! the Geoportal Server is alive and well. As mentioned, we have branched off a new generation of Geoportal Server (2.x) a couple years ago and now have (in fact) three GitHub repositories!

• https://github.com/Esri/geoportal-server - This is Geoportal Server 1.x, with 1.2.9 being the latest formal released version. We do have various modifications, updates, and fixes in the pipeline. Go ahead and get the latest source code directly.
  • https://github.com/Esri/geoportal-server-catalog - This is the shiny new Geoportal Server 2.x Catalog application. This is where we are focusing our attention. More scalable, no more Java Server Faces, no more relational database, search facets, etc. This is currently at version 2.6.1 (November 2018) with 2.6.2 in the works.
  • https://github.com/Esri/geoportal-server-harvester - Here you'll find the now standalone Harvester 2.x. This new harvester may be used without using other Geoportal Server components, for example to sync from a CSW to your ArcGIS Online environment or such. 

Last week I presented on Geoportal Server during the Developer Summit and we also had booths in the Expo. The same will be happening as part of the International User Conference in July. Most of our discussion happens on GitHub. Feel free to check out what we are working on and what some of the Geoportal users are contributing to this open source project!

Marten