Geo code Table to layer

02-15-2019 06:34 AM
MarianneHåland
New Contributor

I have a layer (datatype: Feature Service Feature Class, Gemetry type: Polygon) with shape__Area and Shape__Length which shows 8 different areas. I want to look at the change in annual income for shopping malls within the different areas. I have a table that I have imported from Excel (Excel to table) that shows change in income for shopping malls within the different areas. I have then "joined and related" these two, so now the table have the same  shape__Area and Shape__Length. It shows annual income for different types of cosumer goods (food, clothes etc) so the shape__Area and Shape__Length is repeted.

The problem is: I will make this table to a map layer (?) because I am gonna use this to make a dashboard and I therefore need the income data to relate to the different areas. How do I geocode (or something...?) shape__Area and Shape__Length to XY or something I can use to connect to the different areas?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkShymanski
New Contributor III

Good morning Marianne,

This is an interesting task you have laid out here.  Generally in approaching these types of questions it is helpful to start with the answer you want and then, without looking at the software, identify the data sources you have (the given data), the data that you need to create to answer the question (the derived data) and then look at the steps you will need to solve the question.    Ideally you should be able to write out the process to answer to your question and then use that document to guide what software tools you use to execute the answer. Often the peculiarities of the software limit our scope and approach to solving a problem; the old saying "when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail" exemplifies this sort of limitation to solving problems. 

A clear initial statement of the results you want will often make all the other steps of the process much easier to develop.  Planning, ahead of getting into the software, will often save you considerable time and effort as compared to starting with the software and trying to figure out which tool 'may' get you to your destination.  A good plan will also allow you to estimate costs and how developing this task may fit in with other tasks you may need to be working on at the same time.

Mark

0 Kudos