Why does AG Pro 2.3 crash every time I move my head?

02-14-2019 12:45 PM
MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III

Look - there can be no debate that ESRI eff-d up with 2.3. It crashes all the time (five times today). Mostly when I move the GUI but today it also crashed when I was removing a IMG file from the table of contents. I'm going back to 2.2 and sending out a message to everyone I work with (the 2nd biggest user of ESRI products in Scandinavia after ESRI) to roll back to 2.2

Plus the crash files are ginormous. It took over five minutes to send the file through my 1GB network connection.

Chip away at the stone...ESRI is driving people towards QGIS. I hope they realize this.

Tags (1)
12 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Michael - sorry you're experiencing crashing in Pro 2.3.

Can you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and send the Pro 2.3 crashes to me at kkramer@esri.com

How big are the .dmp files?

0 Kudos
MichaelLedwith
New Contributor III

I've got nine error reports from the past few days of varying sizes.

The one that just happened (when I right clicked to remove and img file) is only 5MB so that can be sent by email but there are a three that are over 20 GB and one that's 13 GB. The rest are between 6 and 8 GB.

I'll send you the smallest one...

0 Kudos
sarahtocco
New Contributor II

Do you have an undocked attribute table?  Back in 2.1-ish I would see that a lot and I adapted to having the table docked.  2.3 has crashed on me about 4 times until I realized it could be from an undocked attribute table. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Sarah, have you been submitting the error reports with your email and a description (if possible)?

ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

0 Kudos
sarahtocco
New Contributor II

I submitted a ticket today. 

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

OK, thanks, Sarah.  You'll need to send the analyst the .dmp files associated with the crash (see comments above in the thread for how to find those).

It might also be worth checking your graphics card driver to ensure it is up to date.

EDIT: I also should have noted that as a troubleshooting measure, try switch the rendering engine over to OpenGL to see if it alleviates the crash.  This may be an indicator that the graphics card/drivers need attention.

0 Kudos
GabrielMarcus1
Occasional Contributor II

That was well written, Kory, and funny. 

Who has access to the dump reports? I'm exchanging email with tech support over a case and I need to send them the dmp report, though it's attached to the crash report. Seems redundant...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

We'd have to know what email address you included with the error report.  

If you don't want to share that here, you can email it to me at kkramer@esri.com

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-13060-arcgis-pro-23-patch-1 is now available.  The patch addresses some of the crashes reported on this thread.

0 Kudos