Roadway data collection solution ideas?

02-14-2019 04:00 PM
CaitlinParsons
New Contributor

Hi there.

I work as a technical/GIS analyst for an asset management company, and I've been tasked with researching ways that LiDAR may possibly streamline our workflow. Essentially we are looking for a more automated approach to collect sidewalk ramp dimensions to ensure they are ADA compliant. We also would like to find a simple way to measure the reflectivity of road signs.

Currently these tasks are being carried out manually, and we are hoping to find a solution that could potentially be mounted to a data collection vehicle, and collect data on the fly, as to not require our field technicians to have to dismount the vehicle, collect measurements by hand, and continue driving, as this currently takes a lot of time.

We are not looking to incorporate a dedicated employee who is exceptionally knowledgeable in working with laser data. I have a bit of background in working with point clouds to assist with creating BIM models, but that is about the extent of my experience in working with point clouds, so we are hoping for a relatively simple solution. We are looking to potentially invest in an in-house LiDAR unit, though recommendations for other technologies would also be appreciated.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies