bjones2

Problem with SimplePointPlugin sample data source plug-in

Discussion created by bjones2 on Feb 23, 2011
This question is related to one that I posted previously but I have attempted to reduce the scope of the problem by using the SimplePointPlugin (Program Files\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\ArcObjectsNet\SimplePointPlugin) project included with the Engine 10.0 SDK.

After building the SimplePointPlugin project you may successfully open ArcMap and add a feature class from the sample data set (Program Files\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\data\SimplePointData\points.csp). You can also browse to and view this data set using ArcCatalog.

Additionally, you can successfully perform the following using ArcMap:

• Add points.csp to your ArcMap layers

• Open ArcToolbox->Conversion Tools->To Shapefile->Feature Class To Shapefile

• Use the Input Features pull down menu to select the previously loaded points.csp layer

• Select and output folder

• Click OK to initiate the export to shape

The result of the above will be a successful export of the points.csp feature class.

Now try the following in ArcMap:

• Open ArcToolbox->Conversion Tools->To Shapefile->Feature Class To Shapefile

• Use the Input Features Browse button to browse to the points.csp data set and select one of the feature classes

• You will immediately be presented with ERROR 000732, Input Features do not exist or are not supported

I am seeing this same behavior with my own plug-in data source and it is preventing me from proceeding with my development. I my case I am trying to create a Python script to export my data source to Shape and it is failing with the same failure mode as the above.

I need to either

• Determine what needs to change in the SimplePoint (and by extension, my own) plug-in code to allow for specifying the full path and dataset/feature class name when exporting

• Or, determine how to work around this limitation and successfully export to shape via Python script using the existing code

If anyone can provide some guidance on whether this is a case of not fully implementing all of the required interfaces or if it is perhaps a bug/limitation of the system.

Thanks,
Bruce Jones

Outcomes