ALRS import/export

02-13-2019 01:46 AM
Labels (1)
MajaMesserli
New Contributor III

Hello

We try to copy an ALRS from one DB to another (test-DB to productive-DB). Is there an easy way to do this (xml...)?

In the ideas list of R&H an enhancement for "ALRS import/export using XML" is suggested. In the meantime, is there any news about such an enhancement?

https://community.esri.com/groups/roads-and-highways-user-group-rhug/pages/rh-enhancement-requests

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Maja

The quickest method I can recommend to you for moving a Roads and Highways ALRS geodatabase from one geodatabase to another is to simply use the ArcCatalag copy/paste tools (Cntrl+C / Cntrl+V). The trick is that when you copy objects, do not select the ALRS:

Cntrl+C

The click on the geodatabase you'd like to copy the ALRS to and click Cntrl+V:

The Data Transfer notification will appear. Choose OK:

Of course once you've pasted your data to the new geodatabase should you have copied to an enterprise GDB you'll want to review the versioning, users, roles and privileges for each ALRS object as we prescribe here.

Of course, there are multiple ways to do this action. Should you wish to try another variation of moving data from say a file geodatabase to an enterprise geodatabase you could also follow our resource guidance: Migrating an ALRS from a file geodatabase to a multiuser geodatabase—Roads and Highways Desktop | Ar... 

Thanks

Amit @ Esri

I need to update that on the list - I believe XML will work IF you export all the data with the XML.  If you would try to export the XML without data, you wound need to somehow carefully tend to the data in those Lrs Tables in conjunction with loading and appending data. My favorite thing to do (assuming enterprise to enterprise) is have my DBA's backup and restore the whole database from environment to environment, then fiddle with user security at the environment a little.  That method should also give you some peace of mind that you can succesfully back up and restore one of these databases, and your team will learn how to quickly and appropriately check/adjust the security settings when restoring from a backup.

Other than that, I'd always follow what Amit says is best.  

CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Hi Maja,

Check out Amit's reply.  For one time copies (as moving data from Test to Production), I would recommend following his steps.  It's a pretty easy and proven method.  

For cases where an ALRS needs to be moved from one environment to another periodically, I would recommend automating the process.  And I would recommend looking at a truncate/reload process into the destination ALRS objects so that you don't have to redo permissions.  

0 Kudos
bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor

Maja,

I've been told multiple times by support that ArcMap/ArcCatalog handles Imports differently than Copy/Paste.  So, if your shapes/geometry happen to have errors, the copy/paste will retain those errors while the import usually cleans it up.  We've seen where we had errors in certain editing scenarios and when we moved to a FGDB to send to Esri Support via copy/paste, the editing errors still existed, when we did it via imports, the editing errors disappeared.  This experience wasn't just a one off.  So, when we move RH databases around, this is the procedure we follow.

Create Database

Import via Import Multiple Feature Classes/Tables tools

1. LRS Networks (feature class)
  2. Events of interest (feature class)
  3. Minimum Schema
    • Centerline (feature class)
    • Calibration_Point (feature class)
    • Redline (feature class)
    • Centerline_Sequence (table)
  4. the 4 LRS_XXXX (table)

If you haven't included all the Event tables just delete those through the normal ArcCatalog tools....ALRS>LRS>Event Tables.

If you are moving RH from an Enterprise database to another Enterprise database, you will need to get the right tables versioned via the link Amit supplied.

I tried to dig up who from Esri sent me this but I couldn't find it.

brian

brian