How can I evaluate the arcgis-osm-editor with a 21-day trial account?

02-09-2019 07:21 AM
KurtZiegler
New Contributor

I recently signed up for a 21-day trial account so that I could evaluate the open-source argis-osm-editor, hoping this will allow me to pull data from OSM, make changes, and push those changes back to OSM.  I also hope to be able to generate custom vector map tiles based on OSM data.

Best I can tell, the arcgis-osm-editor works with ArcMap, not ArcGis, but the trial downloads only offer ArcGIS Pro.  How can I get a copy of ArcMap?  Is ArcMap still a supported product?  Is the OSM editor still supported?  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JacobHartle2
Esri Contributor

Hi Kurt,

I looked at the arcgis-osm-editor github page (linked below) and it looks like it is only available for ArcMap versions 10.0 to 10.6.

Arcgis-osm-editor extension: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-osm-editor/wiki

In regards to trial software Esri only offers a 21-day trial of ArcGIS Pro. A trial of ArcMap is no longer available for a trial, but it is still a supported software. Esri made an announcement in 2017 that ArcGIS Pro is now the main desktop application. When you buy a license for ArcGIS Pro, you still have access to ArcMap and the idea is that you start using ArcGIS Pro. ArcMap will still be around for many years to come, but it is based on a 32-bit architecture and cannot be considered "future-proof" anymore as more programs are based on a 64-bit architecture.

In regards to getting a hold of a trial of ArcMap, timed versions are not publicly available anymore, but some of the Esri Press books often have a trial code in them or if you are a part of a University, you can get generally get a hold of a 1 year trial of the software (This would include ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro).

The other option you would have is ArcGIS for Personal Use. This is a paid option but it is cheaper than a normal license as it can only be used for personal use and professional development.

ArcGIS for Personal Use: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-personal-use

Best,

Jacob