Keep the symbol in Layout Map, but not shown on the Legend?

02-11-2019 07:49 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to find a solution to not display the name and the symbol on the Legend on my ArcMap Layout but I do want to keep the symbol in the Layout .

Here is the screenshot

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Well the only thing I came across was to copy the Legend and then move the original legend outside the Layout and then use the copied one and convert to graphics and delete the populated place in the legend. 

I then group it and then move the copied back in the Layout .

That works unless some of you have some other ideas, I'd like to hear..

Have a good day

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Here is one way to tackle that.  One can go to the Table of Contents in the ArcMap document being used and make a copy of the layer there, then display the full layer in the map and use a reduced one in the legend.

So to start, make a copy of the layer in the Table of Contents.  Note that this is all being done in the Table of Contents of the final map layout (we are not modifying or copying the actually file on disk).

Then for that copy, go into the Properties while in the Table of Contents and then in the legend symbology area delete the item you don't want to appear (in your case populated place).  While you are in the Properties, it is helpful to add something to the layer name so you can distinguish it from the original.  For example, if the layer name is PlacesOfInterest, I would modify it to be PlacesOfInterestLegend.  Then check off the display of this layer in the Table of Contents (but leave the original layer checked on), so only the original layer is being displayed.

Finally, to finish this off, go to your legend box in the layout, right-click on it, then for the layers list add in the one you modified.  So in my example PlacesOfInterestLegend.  Remove from the list the original layer.  Note that you may need to set the Property in the legend box that controls display of layers that are not turned on, as this may suppress the legend layer you just made.

Chris Donohue, GISP

DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Much easier: in the feature properties Symbology tab, select the class values you want to keep, Move to heading.

I usually call this "Show". Then in the Legend, select the layer, on Items tab look for "Only show classes from this heading." Set that to "Show". This is a great way to show only one example of a layer when that is all that is needed.

0 Kudos