Barcodes and multiple fields in Collector

02-07-2019 01:39 PM
JeremyVore
New Contributor II

I have a soil sample project for my company that requires multiple fields to be filled out by the samplers. We would like to implement barcodes for each sample the would fill in multiple fields when it is scanned. Is this something Collector can do with the recent release? 

I would like to have collector scan the tag, then add the point with the GPS location, and have preset fields filled out based on the bar code. #

Thanks in advance for any insights or feedback.

Jeremy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

> We would like to implement barcodes for each sample the would fill in multiple fields when it is scanned. Is this something Collector can do with the recent release? 

Yes, this functionality is available in the new Collector release for iOS. Please see this help topic,

Fill out forms—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

This page linked to seems to imply, but does not explicitly state that these features are only supported on iOS devices.  I was excited that my Android users might be able to scan bar-codes for a field that captures USI information.

But it appears they cannot as they are Android users.  That is an inference, as it is not explicitly stated on the page you linked too.

Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Patrick - Yes, barcode scanning is part of the new version of Collector. That version isn't released on Android yet, but when it does release you'll see this functionality on that platform, too.

Esri Education Team
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

Are you referring to the "Aurora" version of Collector? Is there a target release date for the new version for Android?

My users will be very excited to be able to scan bardcodes!

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, it is the release that was the Aurora Project. On Android, it is expected to release Q4 of this year.

Esri Education Team