Please explain Layer Packages (.lpkx)

01-31-2019 07:01 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I requested some data from an agency and received a layer package in return.  Okay, that's cool; I can use the .lpkx as provided in an ArcGIS Pro map, but I need the data as an actual feature class.  The layer package has 8 layers to it, all representing land use of some sort or another.  I can save off each of the layers to a new geodatabase, and then merge them all together into one feature class, but if there is a better, more efficient means to do so, I'm all ears.

Bottom line: where is the actual data in a layer package?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hmmm....  Look what I just found:  Package Layer—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

eta:  this appears to be how to create a layer package with a file geodatabase option; I need to go the other way....

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

I think Extract Package should work:

Extract Package—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Scott; I also tried Consolidate tool, which works much in the same fashion.  I ended up just manually exporting the features to my own file gdb since that allowed me a little more control and wasn't as messy.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Map and Layer packages have to be unpacked before their contents are actually used by the application.  If you check the data source of a layer from a layer package, it will show you the temporary location where the FGDB resides with the data.

Does your layer package really have 8 feature classes or just 1 feature class with 8 layers referencing it?