How can I toggle layers on and off?

01-30-2019 11:45 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I am interested in using ArcGIS for Maps in my powerpoint presentations.  I have it working but I would like to be able to toggle on/off layers within Powerpoint.  I thought I could do this before but with the latest update there is no way to do this.  

My map will be used as part of a rezoning staff report to the Planning Commission.  I'd love to be able to turn the zoning and future land use layers on and off while on the same slide with the same map.  I typically use static maps created in ArcGIS which of course have limited capability since they are just images.  I cannot have both zoning and future land use on at the same time because they overlap each other.  Any ideas?

Visible layers are included in the map slide by default. Layers that were hidden when the web map was shared are available but hidden in the PowerPoint map slide.

This is from the help, it doesn't make any sense.  I can only toggle layers in edit mode?  Also, the legend feature is totally worthless to me as the limitation is to extreme, so much so that adding even one of my layers to it makes the map error out.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
4 Replies
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Josh,

Thank you for inquiring about ArcGIS Maps for Office using the PowerPoint component. Toggling layers on and off is not a current functionality in PowerPoint unless in edit mode. The images in the PowerPoint presentation are static images (as you also stated). One possible suggestion would be to toggle between an Excel map and PowerPoint presentation to achieve use of live maps or layers you can turn on or off. An alternative option is to have multiple slides with the information you would need to convey in a map without being in ‘live’ mode, essentially capturing multiple static images.

Visible layers included in the map on the slides are default. Meaning the map image in the present state is captured and copied to the PowerPoint slide(s). Layers that are hidden are typically those layers turned off. Since I am not entirely sure of the workflow followed here, I can only assume you are using Excel and select ‘Create Slide’.

As for the Legend feature limitations…could you elaborate on the error messages you may be receiving or the limitations you are running into?

We appreciate your feedback as we make every effort to improve our future releases.

Thank you,

Shannon | Product Engineer

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

If my solution is to toggle back and forth, I may as well just pull up a webmap rather than use the limited ArcGIS Maps for Office.  The legend is limited to a certain size (pixels I guess).  Because the layers I want to show in the legend are complex, even adding one tells me it is too large so the legend is totally worthless to me.  When I said static, I was referring to my maps that I created in ArcGIS Pro and brought the images into Powerpoint.  The whole idea of the maps for office, I thought, was to make the maps dynamic within Powerpoint, not static.  If its static, it is of no use to me as I already have the ability to add static maps without the add-in and have much better choices for layouts of the maps.

Also, I am not using Excel at all, I am brining in the webmap directly into Powerpoint.  

Seeing the limitations of this product, I will not be using it.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
ShannonChavez
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the feedback Josh. I have noted your workflow and will be working with additional resources to see how we can implement this feature in future releases.  Again, we appreciate your feedback as we make every effort to implement features our customer's value and use in their day to day workflows. 

Have a great rest of your week, 

Shannon | Product Engineer

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I appreciate that.  I want to be clear that I am not saying this product is inferior.  I think it really opens up the options for light users of Esri products.  It just wont work for me.  What I'd really like to see is basically just embedding an ArcGIS Online map (or an App) into a slide and it be fully functional as if it were in a browser.  Now, I understand that Powerpoint does have its limitations as I have run into them for other things like embedded video BUT, that is on my dream list.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos