Why are the credits so long for the World Topographic map?

01-29-2019 02:31 PM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I want to use the Esri basemaps to ease map creation but I find the credits are too long.  Its important to give credit where its due but to have zero control on how it's displayed is frustrating.  Here is my example of the World Topographic map on a small layout.

The map is unusable in this condition.  Even if I could include the credits outside of the map frame that would help. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
10 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Hey Josh, What client are you using to produce your map?

If your using ArcGIS Pro check out this thread and answer from Dan Patterson

Remove Service Layer Credits  

Hope that helps

-Adam

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

No exactly intuitive but I figured it out with help from the thread. Thanks.

But I do have a question.

Instead of:

Sources: Esri, HERE, Garmin, Intermap, increment P Corp., GEBCO, USGS, FAO, NPS, NRCAN, GeoBase, IGN, Kadaster NL, Ordnance Survey, Esri Japan, METI, Esri China (Hong Kong), swisstopo, OpenStreetmap contributors, and the GIS User community

Why can't it be ?

Source: (c) 2019 Esri and business partners

Many of the other sources in this list are not worldwide.  For instance, in the US, Esri Japan and Esri China and Kadaster NL (among others) have no content here, so why list them?  I realize this is called the World Topographic map but surely you see my issue.  If that was the case, it could stay on the map frame without too many issues.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

It's a good question, I assume now it is ArcGIS Pro you are working in.  I'm seeing this with layouts the have basemaps too, the citation string is long, and its consistent . 

It's interesting, Im looking at the World Topo Basemap in ArcGIS online and the credits here do a cool thing and actually update when you zoom and pan around. 

https://arcg.is/48Hfr 

As for ArcGIS Pro it looks to only be pulling the copyright text from the Citation layer in the service only, nothing Dynamic. It might be a great Idea to post with the Ideas to Have ArcGIS Pro handle basemap citation like ArcGIS online does. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I noticed that behavior online as well.  Pro does pull from the credits in the layer properties.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

It's the copyright text from the Citation layer

Layer: Citations (ID: 0) 

This populates the credits in the layers metadata. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Right, but the text is entered into the same box when you pull it up in Pro.  It's just grayed out and can't be edited since it's a web layer.  Here is the Idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/16121 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Thanks Josh. 

0 Kudos
NikkiHart-Brinkley
New Contributor

I think you've sorted this out, but just in case: Altering the Service Credits layer from: Layout, Insert, Dynamic Text still works in ArcPro as described in the earlier response. I haven't tried editing it, I just drag it off to the side of the layout and list a reasonable amount of sources in a text box that works for the map and size I'm working with. 

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Well, it isn't totally sorted out because they still haven't addressed the total length of the credits themselves.  I still think that Esri and business partners says the same thing.  Or perhaps Esri World Topographic Map or Esri Imagery would say the same thing.  The solution they provide and you suggested is an acceptable workaround though.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City