Branch Versioning for DBO owned geodatabase

Jump to solution
01-29-2019 04:01 PM
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I have an Enterprise Geodatabase in SQL Server 2016 and I am building Utility Network using ArcGIS Pro 2.2. My geodatabase is created as DBO owned schema and not as SDE owned schema. When I set geodatabase connection properties with versioning type set to Branch, it sets the version name as DEFAULT and owner as "SDE" and does not let me choose different owner. I do not have SDE log-in or SDE user in the SQL Server database. Will any functionality be affected if I start using branch versioning without SDE user in the database?

Cheers,

Vish

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ConnorFriese
New Contributor II

Vish Apte

It is by design to have the SDE user owner of the DEFAULT version when working with branch versioning.

However, this does not cause any problems if it is a DBO owned schema geodatabase.

I believe the reason to display "SDE" as the owner is for security reasons. If "DBO" was listed then this would inform people that SQL Server is being used and this could be a security issue. Also, DBO comes with security issues in general since any user with the "sysadmin" fixed server role can become DBO.

Overall, having a DBO owned schema geodatabase is supported with Branch Versioning.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Did you publish out the data as branch versioned to your Enterprise portal; Share branch versioned data—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi George,

I have been able to publish a Utility Network to ArcGIS Enterprise as feature services using Branched Version, have been able to create new versions, perform edits, reconcile and post to DEFAULT etc. So all working so far with DBO owned schema. It seems that owner of the DEFAULT branch version is "hardcoded" as SDE, like a keyword without a need for this user/owner to exist in the database.

I just want to know if DBO owned EGDB is supported for Branch Versioning and something is not going to bite me later in the production system.

Cheers,

Vish

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would reach out to Esri Technical support and create a case on this question. They may be the best to respond.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
KrishnaRohitYejju1
New Contributor

@Vish Apte, I think you won't be able to use DBO owned schema geodatabase to use Branch versioning. Also, you would not be able to publish the data. I would suggest to use a new SDE owned schema geodatabase. 

0 Kudos
ConnorFriese
New Contributor II

Vish Apte

It is by design to have the SDE user owner of the DEFAULT version when working with branch versioning.

However, this does not cause any problems if it is a DBO owned schema geodatabase.

I believe the reason to display "SDE" as the owner is for security reasons. If "DBO" was listed then this would inform people that SQL Server is being used and this could be a security issue. Also, DBO comes with security issues in general since any user with the "sysadmin" fixed server role can become DBO.

Overall, having a DBO owned schema geodatabase is supported with Branch Versioning.

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Thanks for confirming Connor Friese

0 Kudos
MaliniRamalingam
Esri Contributor

As confirmed by others, DBO owned schema geodatabase is supported with Branch Versioning.

Understanding the Default branch version:

In a DBO schema geodatabase, the sde.Default version refers to the Default branch version and DBO.Default refers to the traditional Default version. 

In Branch versioning, versions are created and managed differently from Traditional database versions. In traditional versioning, database users create and own versions whereas in branch versioning, versions are created within feature services (or Utility network service) and managed by a version management service. So these branch versions are owned by the portal user connected to ArcGIS Pro, at the time they were created. You can compare the  Owner column in the SDE_Branches table and the SDE_Versions from SQL Server management studio to clarify the concept.

Since the Default version is created by the system when the geodatabase is created, the SDE keyword under the owner column in the system table Branches, is most likely meant to indicate this concept.

I hope this helps clarify your question.

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

A shorter answer seems it is a mistake "BUG" and should not be listed as "sde"

0 Kudos
MaliniRamalingam
Esri Contributor

It is understandable that Branch versioning is a fairly new concept and so the terms can be ambiguous at times. Each versioning type, Branch or Traditional, caters to particular workflows and deployment options. Branch versioning concepts are only applicable when working with feature services.

Please do reach out to ESRI Support Services and we would happy to help comprehend Branch versioning concepts especially in comparison to traditional versioning as well as working with branch versioned data. 

0 Kudos