Changing color of imported CAD hatches

01-28-2019 09:53 AM
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

I've imported some CAD polygons, hatches, and annotation into arcmap using the Add Data tool. Once imported into arcmap, all of the colored hatches now appear white.Using the identify tool II am able to click on the various hatches. How do I changed the color of the hatches?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Peter,

Take a look at this article. I think it will help get you situated:

How To: Change the background color of a line fill symbol 

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

Thanks Adrian. That helps me get closer to my answer however when going through the steps it seems to turn on the hatches the same chosen color. I want to change different hatches to different colors. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Can you post a screenshot of your symbology dialog? I don't have arcmap open right now and can't remember where all the drill downs were for changing things deeper than surface level.

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

I just noticed I was clicking on the wrong link and not to your solution. Sorry about that. Will try it now to see if it works.

Below is an image of the individual white shapes surrounded by green lines. It's the white shapes I want to change to different colors.

Instep 1 of your link, you double click on the desired layer patch. In this case it would be Polygon correct?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Try this, expand your layer in the table of contents (click on the little plus sign), then right click on the square that shows your symbol (in your case it will likely be a green box that's white in the middle). Then choose a new color from the color list that drops down.

If that doesn't work, open your symbology dialog (symbol selector), click on Edit Symbol, and change the color in there.

If there are still issues, please post a screenshot of what you see in your symbol selector.

0 Kudos
PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

It won't let me right-click on those items:

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

You may need to convert your CAD drawings into a geodatabase, then mess with the symbology.

Using the CAD To Geodatabase tool—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

PeterSharkey
New Contributor III

This is very strange. The autocad file I want to import is viewable in a file window but it doesn't show up in the Catalog.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

In Catalog, you need to connect to a folder in order to see its data.

Using folder connections—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos