AnsweredAssumed Answered

What version of SDE, and what is SDESVR_REL_LOW?

Question asked by agelfert on Jan 24, 2019
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2019 by agelfert

What's the quickest way to determine what version of ArcSDE is installed and running? I've found a few suggestions for how to get this info but some additional clarification would be helpful.

Method 1

Check the version sde_table (not to be confused with sde_versions table) using your RDBMS client of choice (SQL Server/SSMS for me)...(Way to find version of SDE )

SELECT *
FROM [MyDB].[dbo].[SDE_version]

MAJOR    MINOR     BUGFIX       DESCRIPTION  RELEASE       SDESVR_REL_LOW
10       5         1            10.5.1       Geodatabase   105010 93001

Okay, I was expecting to get a version somewhere near or around 10.5. So that seems to make sense. But what's with the SDESVR_REL_LOW?

Apparently, the 93001 is "the lowest release number of server allowed to run on this instance". Is this a reference to ArcGIS Server? (System tables of a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop )

Method 2

When I try to get information using arcpy, I get the below output - no mention of 10.5.1 but 3.0.0 instead? I understand the 'Current Release' to indicate that I'm not current since I'm not on 10.6.

import arcpy
connfile = r'<path_to_connectionfile>'
print("Release: ", arcpy.Describe(connfile).release)
print("Current Release: ", arcpy.Describe(connfile).currentRelease)
>>>Release: 3,0,0
>>>Current Release: False

Finally when I try to get information inside ArcCatalog (Right-click the database connection in the Catalog tree and click Properties > General Tab...) (FAQ: How do you determine the version of an enterprise (ArcSDE) geodatabase in Catalog? | Esri Australia Technical Blog )

I also get 10.5.1.

So long story short, can someone explain to me the significance of 93001 (9.3.0.0.1?) or 3.0.0?

Outcomes