Can't access Context Menu (right click) in ArcMap 10.6.1 on Panasonic Toughpad

01-23-2019 03:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have installed ArcMap 10.6.1 on a Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 running Windows 10 version 1803. I cannot access the Context Menu (right click) in ArcMap or ArcCatalog, using the Pen/Stylus supplied with the Toughpad.

The right click Context menu works fine in Windows Explorer and all other applications on the device. I have tested by using an alternate Stylus, again all other Context menus open as expected, except within ArcMap. I have also tested by plugging a mouse into the device, the Context menus in ArcMap open as expected when right clicked using the mouse.

There is nothing obvious in the Windows Settings of the Pen/Stylus that would stop the "right click" functionality from working. Is there anything that could be configured on the ArcMap side to make the Pen/Stylus work?

Thanks in advance

Andrew  

3 Replies
BjörnRos
New Contributor

We have this exact problem on a number of different setups, all sporting w10 1809 and Arcmap 10.6. Works perfectly fine with a mouse, but no right click with pen available. We're using Motion f5t, f5te,f5m and two different types of Fids computers. Same problem on all types. Right click to access options in context menu, is a big part of everyday work with pen input. We were previously on Arcmap 9.3(yes a big leap), and had no issues with this. Any resolution to this problem?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bjorn,

What turned out to work on the Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1, running Windows 10 v1803, was ArcMap 10.3.1. Right-Click using the Pen works normally. Any version of ArcMap 10.4.1 and above in combination with Windows 10 v1803 or higher, has the Right Click Context Menu issue on tablet/mobile computers using pen/stylus inputs.

I believe this affects most if not all tablet devices, (Toughpads, Motions, Surface Pro etc) although I can only directly confirm for the Panasonic Toughpad.

This is a known bug https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEwNjkyNw==  the Bug details state that it is 'In Product Plan' to address this, but it appears the 10.7 release has not offered a solution/fix https://downloads has .esri.com/support/downloads/other_/107-IssuesAddressedList-03182019.pdf

I do not have the functionality/ability within MyESRI to Escalate this Bug, and provide the business justification of why this should be addressed with a higher status than 'In Product Plan', but if this is causing you similar business issues please consider escalating https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2016/03/28/how-to-escalate-a-defect

Hope this helps

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
BjörnRos
New Contributor

Hi Andrew!

Thanks. This is an issue on all types of touch and pen devices, as you stated. 

Our company has started a support errand with Esri. Until we get some type of respons, we'll have to use it the way we can anyway. Since Arcmap is a base for our GIS, a rollback is not an option at this point. 

Thank you so much for the respons!

Björn

0 Kudos