ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4 Crashing when Adding Folder Connection

01-22-2019 09:17 AM
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

I open ArcGIS Pro, create a new blank project, right-click on Folders in the Catalog pane, then click Add Folder Connection.  If I then click on any folder in the dialog box, ArcGIS Pro disappears from my screen and seems to shut down.  However, the task is still running in Windows task manager until I end it manually.  Does anyone know why this might be?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

This seems to be dependent on which folder I click and whether I double-click or single-click.  In the Add Folder Connection dialog if I click on my C drive on the left pane and then double-click on certain folders in the right pane Pro will crash.  If I just click on a folder and click Open it will add the folder successfully and not crash.  If I click on a mapped network drive on the right pane, it crashes immediately.

0 Kudos
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jamie,

Is there a crash dump file created when this happens? It would typically be found here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports

Jonathan

0 Kudos
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

No there isn't

0 Kudos

That makes it a little more challenging then since we don't have any information to go off of.

Is this happening with Pro on other machines in your organization? I just tested out Pro 2.2.4 here doing the same workflow and I don't see the same behavior. If this is specific to your machine, it may be worth trying a repair of the software. Right click ArcGIS Pro in Control Panel > Programs and Features and choose to Uninstall/Change. There will be a repair option when the wizard opens.

Jonathan

JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

Yes I've done that.  I've also done a manual uninstall and clean install.  I also have problems running the Solutions Deployment Tool add-in.  Pro freezes and eventually crashes and asks if I want to send an error report.  Neither of these issues are happening on other computers in my org.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the information Jamie. So, just to be clear, even when you get the message asking about sending an error report, there is no crash dump file logged in the location I mentioned earlier? That message is typically a hallmark that we've generated a file for that crash.

0 Kudos
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

Yes, there is a dump file created when the add-in crash happens.

All of a sudden I couldn't publish to AGOL anymore either.  It turns out that the first solution posted here solved all of these issues: Error: External sharing process failed 

I removed the PYTHONPATH environment variable from my system.  I did not have the PYTHON variable.

Now I wonder if this will cause problems with ArcMap?

Well that's good news! The article you linked is specific to Pro so if that resolved your issues then I wouldn't say this same behavior will be seen in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos