Is there an autosave option in ArcGIS Pro (2.2.4)?

Jump to solution
01-17-2019 12:12 PM
DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

Does anyone know if there is an autosave option in ArcGIS Pro? One that saves the workspace itself every x amount of minutes. If, not there really should be..

I know I should be in the habit of manually saving it often - it doesn't always happen. It's the worst when Pro crashes (which is often) and you need to redo what you've done. There is no recovery of the crashed workspace (that I'm aware of).

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave,

We have an existing Idea on autosave. Upvote and add to the discussion here - Add an autosave feature for ArcGIS Desktop. 

If you're seeing Pro crash, please don't hesitate to contact Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575. They can help you narrow it down. My suggestion is to take note of the pattern of crashing. For example,

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No … and none in 2.3 either (a least in beta which ends tomorrow)

I always hated autosave.... what if 'it' saved stuff you didn't want to save

DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

You make a very valid point Dan. I've had that happen to me using Microstation. Of course there would have to be an option so that you can turn on/ off.

I think if there was a way to recover workspace from a crash - that would be more beneficial than any autosave.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Dave,

We have an existing Idea on autosave. Upvote and add to the discussion here - Add an autosave feature for ArcGIS Desktop. 

If you're seeing Pro crash, please don't hesitate to contact Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575. They can help you narrow it down. My suggestion is to take note of the pattern of crashing. For example,

-Scott

DaveStewart1
New Contributor III

Thanks Scott, I will definitely be upvoting this Add an autosave feature for ArcGIS Desktop. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Dave, now that you know about the autosave editing options, and have up voted the idea about autosave for the project (which is Under Consideration by the development teams involved) I want to get back to the reason you're asking.  Unfortunately it sounds like you're requesting this because Pro is crashing.  We apologize for that and are always working to improve stability.  While nobody wants the application to crash, if it does, please be sure to always include a valid email address and description of what you were doing when it occurred.  This can be very helpful in getting things fixed.  More here ArcGIS Desktop Error Reporter Learns Its Manners 

Save early, save often!

Cheers

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

Dave,

There is an auto-save for data edits in the Editing Options. It will not save changes made to the project, e.g. adding a definition query. 

Go to the backstage

Choose Options

Find Editing category

Within the Session group is an option to auto save by time or number of edit operations.