Implementing 3d buildings into arcscene

01-16-2019 02:20 PM
HarisSulejmanagic
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

Im quite new to the world of arcgis and especially the part that this question is realated to, and that being the 3d analyst/arcscene part. Im trying to build a simple 3D of a city, and i've been following instructions from a very nice youtube video, ive downloaded the 3d textures from esri and everything was working fine in arcmap, until i put the layers into ArcScene. 

And this is basically what happens with my buildings. The roads seem to be fine(even thought they dont look the same as in the tutorial, but at least they are not acting crazy). 

Could anyone tell me what the problem could be and possibly how to solve it? I'd imagine its something to do with setting the heights of the building, but thats as far as i got.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

are you working with a projected or geographic coordinate system?

There may be a problem with scaling of the Z (feet vs meters)

What are you x,y coordinates in and what are the z (heights)

0 Kudos
HarisSulejmanagic
New Contributor

I'm using gcs wgs 1984. When i change the base heights in arcscene from meters to feet, or from feet to meters it does not change anything..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you just don't change the units, you have to scale them... You would have to provide more details.

wgs 1984 means that your coordinates are in decimal degrees... I hope your z values have some known definition

0 Kudos
HarisSulejmanagic
New Contributor

This will probably sound like a silly question, but where can i see the z values? the source says that they do have a z values but i dont know how to find it. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well you could use the Add Geometry Attributes to get x,y and z for featureclasses, then examine the table to see what the Z values are.  The properties for the layer should provide other information.  Where did you get it? If from somewhere else, the provider should have metadata.

0 Kudos
HarisSulejmanagic
New Contributor

It gives me a key error of 'multipatch' when i try to add geometry. I got the data from openstreetmap

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't use OpenStreetMap data. perhaps they have a FAQ describing its properties

0 Kudos