How can I share my Story Map with another person so they can edit and create content?

01-15-2019 04:33 PM
AdiMahadwar
New Contributor

I have an individual account, not an organization account. The information online is all about how to create collaborations within organizations. Is there any way that I can still create a collaboration for my Story Map with another account user(s)? If not, is there a way to move a Story Map from one account to another account entirely (effectively giving the entire Story Map to someone else to work on)?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

What type of Story map is it you are working on? 

- Some items like Maps (That contain your map data) can be shared and saved into a Organization, Some map-based apps can spring a new App from that new Map. 

- For some apps, Creating the app from scratch might be the best option. 

Note, some sharing restrictions apply, To quote the documentation on using groups "If you have a public account, you can only join groups owned by public accounts. If you have an orga...

Would the Organization have an available seat? Maybe they could invite the public account

- Join with an existing public account 

0 Kudos
AdiMahadwar
New Contributor

I have Story Map Cascade. It contains a few maps (some that can be private or public, and one that is shared with me).

I am hoping to share the entire Story map (that has sections of pictures/text, as well as the embedded maps) with members of  a group (or at least another user).

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Cascade is one of the more App centric designs, so it might be more difficult to recreate from scratch.  

Outside of getting your account "Adopted" by an organization so you can share as a organizational member, there is not much I can say to do. 

You might have heard of Using ArcGIS Online Assistant. This tool is not officially supported, and can cause damage to your content especially if you are like me, and you're not careful and don't fully understand how ArcGIS online works inside and out. That said, it has a option to "Copy" content from one account to another, this means any reference your App has will also be copied, so some links to maps and stuff like that may be broken. 

I would be interested to see if another user in the form has had your same experience, and can share additional insight. 

0 Kudos
AdiMahadwar
New Contributor

What does it mean for me to have my account 'adopted', and how can I do this?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

An Existing ArcGIS online Organization Administrator can Invite your public account,

Invite and add members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Here is the documentation on what to do with the invitation:

Join organization—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
AdiMahadwar
New Contributor

Ok, thanks for that information. One more question - I am able to create a group, and add members to it. Is there a way to upload my existing story map into that group (not just share the individual maps within the story map)?

0 Kudos
AdamEversole1
Esri Contributor

Think whoever access your application will need to have access to all the items in the application. So, all the content that participates in a App needs to have the same level of sharing. For example:

App (public) -> Map ( private )  -> Layer (Group)  This Example will have issues, the Map and Layer will need to also be made available publicly. 

App (group) -> Map ( public ) -> layer (group)  This Example will be Ok, The Map is public so it exceeds the level of sharing necessary for the app user to access. 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

See also this FAQ on the Story Maps website: 

Who can edit my story map and is collaboration possible?

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/faq/#question16