Data Interoperability error with IFC "Instance is not syntactically valid"

01-14-2019 03:15 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

I was given some IFC made with "Sierrasoft Roads" software.

Everytime I try to convert them to a featureclass using Data Interoperability's Quick Import, I always hit this error:

ISO10303-21: Skipping instance #75: Instance  is not syntactically valid.

Opening the IFC in Notepad and inspecting the instance I read:

#37=IFCCONNECTEDFACESET((#49,#56,#63,#70,#77,#84,#91,#98,#105,#112,#119,#126,#133,#140,#147,#154,#161,#168,#175,#182,#189,#196,#203,#210));

So, either the instance is indeed invalid, or the Data Interoperability cannot interpret it correctly.

If this might be of interest, opening the IFC with Civil 3D I can see the model without problem.

Some specs:

• Data Interoperability (and Pro) version is 2.2
  • IFC version is IFC2X3

The Quick Import settings: the same as explained in a 2016 Esri post (unfortunately I cannot find the link, but only the one to this picture)

quick import settings

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alessandro,

Are you getting the error in ArcGIS Pro or in the other software? I am not sure which direction to point you in but I am tagging Bruce Harold‌ as he knows a lot about Data Interoperability.

#data interoperabiltiy#data interoperability tool extension

Spatial Data Infrastructures

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Alessandro, if you open a support call and share your data we can take a look at the issue.

AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you Adrian Welsh‌. I am trying this with the Quick Import from ArcGIS Pro (v.2.2.4).

Bruce Harold‌ Thanks. I will ask because unfortunately the data is not mine, but I will surely open a ticket if I am told I can share the data, and if there's no previous knowledge on this problem. Thanks.

0 Kudos