Unwanted Seamlines Mosaic Dataset to Tile Cache

Jump to solution
01-11-2019 10:46 AM
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I am building a tile cache off a mosaic dataset. I have imagery from different resolutions and collection times. So, would like seamlines. They look great overall. But in some places I have them where they are not needed, e.g. two source tiles of the same resolution and collection time and the tiles share a footprint boundary. Also, there is lower res stuff in the same area. This is a pic from the output tile cache.

I have the blend set to both and 10 pixels. I am using geometry to build the seamlines.  I am hoping there is a fast way to fix this as I have 3 or 4 thousand source images . I fear that the solution is going to editing the seamlines....

Should I be doing a different method to create the seamlines?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Looks to me like some of the image are 'edge joined' (not overlapping) and you have seamlines along these joints.

Best is to select all the images that are 'edge joined' and use Merge Items. 

This will virtually create a single image out of many.

You do not want to merge too many (>500) rasters in a single item.

This should reduce the number of seamlines you need.

Another alternative is to buffer out the seamlines in such areas.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Looks to me like some of the image are 'edge joined' (not overlapping) and you have seamlines along these joints.

Best is to select all the images that are 'edge joined' and use Merge Items. 

This will virtually create a single image out of many.

You do not want to merge too many (>500) rasters in a single item.

This should reduce the number of seamlines you need.

Another alternative is to buffer out the seamlines in such areas.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, they are edge joined--the footprints of the problem images to do overlap. The geometry tool claims to take this problem into account....

I did not know about the merge option. Thanks!

I was thinking it may be also possible to build seamline for each of my 4 source image scales independently export them form the MD, edit them in a classic way, combine them and import them back into the MD as seamlines. That should work yes? That way one could work on the seamlines for each scale in isolation.

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

You can edit seamlines directly. Just use any of the standard editing tools. Yes the can also be exported, otherwise edited and then imported. Should not be necessary though. Also note that the build seamline tool includes a cell_size parameter that enable a range of pixel sizes to be define. IE you can run it for each of the different resolutions.

forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks. Editing them directly is working well. But I am wondering if one did import them what should the join fields be set to?

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

I did as you suggested and edited them in the MD but it is not updating the displayed seamlines. My seam line in this area is in blue

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

For the export/import question: Assuming you maintain the Object ID this can be used.

For the seamlines not having an effect: Difficult to answer without seeing the imagery. In your example, its not clear why there are the dark lines going north/south. If you move the blue line up or down is there any change to the dark artifact?  I presume there is an edge there, but can't work it out from here. Consider replicating the issue on a small subset and sending me.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the feedback Peter.

I just tried the merge items option that you suggested this morning it looks like it is working well. I apologize for not trying that first. I think I may have the seamline thing under control.

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the help on this Peter. I have a small test MD that is looking quite nice.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Forest, this is a super old article but the info inside might help. Take a look:

How To: Remove and replace no data values within a raster using statistical information from the sur...