WFS not working, reversed coordinates

01-09-2019 10:53 AM
gabornagy1
New Contributor II

When adding layers from WFS, the lat longs of coordinates come in reversed. Is ESRI aware of this? 

Simplest example is points, e. g. 11E 48N would be displayed at 48E 11N and it's way more deranged with lines and polygons, it's absolutely unusable. 

Tags (2)
7 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gabor

Please modify your WFS layer property to swap XY coordinates

Use WFS services layers—Services | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
gabornagy1
New Contributor II

Thanks Bruce,

#1 it works for points

#2 it doesn't work for lines

#3 what is the purpose of this option? The coordinates are standard GML xy

/ lonlat, why does it have to be swapped? (I should add I am using the correct version number.)

Do I have to do that for every layer? Why isn't the default working?

Thanks, Gabor

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gabor

The underlying problem is the WFS standard is versioned (1.0.0, 1.1.0, 2.0.0...) and at various times the specification was ambiguous about coordinate axis order.  Sometimes we cannot guess the correct order, so the parameter exists so you can correct the behavior in the client software.

If you can share the WFS URL here or with our support people we can show you what is going on.

Also, make sure to clear your layer cache after changing the axis order.

0 Kudos
gabornagy1
New Contributor II

Thanks Bruce, I will call tech support. I tried a couple things and still

can't get lines to work. Best, Gabor

0 Kudos
KylieMiddleton
New Contributor II

Bruce, this doesn't make sense - why set it this way by default in the first place when it is different to version 1.0.0 and testing + user experience shows it is an issue. The client/customer shouldn't have to know to modify the behaviour. The Western Australian Shared Location Information Platform (SLIP) publishes many services (https://services.slip.wa.gov.au/public/rest/services/SLIP_Public_Services) that will have to be corrected with our own publishing tool/process due to this "default" behaviour. Our advise current to our customers is to use version 1.0.0 due to the coordinate flip in 1.1.0/2.0.0. We have demonstrated this behaviour to Esri Au. 

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

I looked at a service (Coastline) and its GDA94, which is defined as axis order latitude,longitude, i.e. YX.  The service indeed supplies this axis order, see here.  ArcGIS needs XY, hence the requirement to swap axes.  I'll take it up with the team to see if we should 'know' to swap XY automatically based on default SRS.

In the meantime you can edit the connection properties for your site to default to swapping (requires Pro 2.3+) so everything just works.

KylieMiddleton
New Contributor II

Thanks Bruce, we will also do some further testing from our side, most of our services are in 3857 but some are GDA94.

0 Kudos